Saturday, May 1, 2010

May 1, 2010 – Pause…

A short posting for today.  Last night, I discovered positions in bed where the incision didn’t hurt.  Between the anesthesia and the busy Friday, I slept well.  Then, I napped most of the day.  The incision is much less painful now.  However, I was quite constipated all day due to the pain meds and anesthesia (my best guess.)  The constipation caused me the most discomfort.  When I imagined this weekend, I saw myself working to deal with the incision’s pain.  Big surprise!  It’s my lower GI that had all my attention.

I’m feeling better now.  Drank a Boost and will have supper soon.  Have eaten very little today.  This whole treatment process has many lessons.  Just when I think the tube would dominate the weekend, my body turns around and surprises me.  Ok, not all surprises are fun!

Dan’s coming to visit tomorrow and we hope visit my parents.  It’s a short ride to their condo and a short ride will get me ready for the longer rides on Monday and the six appointments at Dana Farber.

Thanks everyone for your love and support.  Knowing you are here with me was a great comfort today.

Love…

Richard

2 comments:

  1. Not all surprises are fun ... Yeah, I hear that.

    Thank you for being so amazingly steadfast in these posts. You are steadfast even during the not fun surprises. I have so much to learn from you.

    Here's to some fun surprises at the end of all of this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You amaze me and keep me strong in my own struggles - had shoulder surgery last week - calcified tendonitis - extreme pain for months, well, 3 years on and off but the last couple months seemed to get worse by the day. Less than two weeks after surgery, that pain is gone and I'm starting to stretch. I need to be in the ocean by June 1. Our darling niece Katy is graduating and we're taking her to Maui. She's going to Macaulester next year. Late at night I catch up on you, several days at a time. You are my hero, and Ann as well. Whatever strength and healing power I possess I send it to you, my friend. I am doing some mindfulness training as well as cognitive therapy - also, Foxy, have had great enjoyment coloring with fine point Sharpies. My writing class colors mandalas then writes, back and forth and it's lovely and mellow and the drawings are beautiful. I had uncovered an old anatomy coloring book from the 70's, though you can easily order them from a bookstore, and have had a ball with my alien color choices. When/if you can't write, color. Surround yourself with color and art and look at colorful things. I think that will help. I send you all my love, my friend. I'm holding your hand.
    I love you, and Ann,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete