Friday, April 30, 2010

April 30, 2010 – Radiation 13 [22 to go] – Tubular!

I’m tubular.  I can eat and talk at the same time.  I’m also passing out from the lingering anesthesia as I type.  Here are a couple of tube photos:



The folded white piece on top of two bandages is a Velcro holder.  It keeps the tube in place when not in use.  The clear piece with a cap above the yellow connector is where the formula (via the syringe funnel) is poured.


 Over on the left in the second photo is the Velcro holder.  In photo one, we saw one end of the tubing going to where the formula is poured.  Here we see the other end of the tubing going through a white clasp and then into my stomach through a hole anchored by two bandages.


Ann & arrived at Dana Farber around 7:45 am.  While she parked the car, I went down to radiation oncology and scanned in.  I was called in, locked down with the mask, and ready to go when the mask was unsnapped.  The table was malfunctioning; the techs couldn’t control its height.  They sent me back to the waiting room while Little Bang and the table had a heated conversation.  After a five-minute wait, I was back on the table, mask locked and loaded.  “Time to rock ‘n’ roll” I told the tech.  “Time” she replied.  Today’s music was from Squeeze’s Argy Bargy.  Tracks played: “Pulling Mussels (From The Shell)”, “Another Nail In My Heart”, “Separate Beds”, “Misadventure”, “If I Didn’t Love You”, and “I Think I’m Go Go”.

After radiation, we walked over to Brigham & Women’s Hospital and checked in at Day Surgery.  The whole process was very smooth.  The pre-op staff checked all my details, physical and personal, and moved down to the prep ward.  I changed into a johnny and was covered with hot blankets (yes!)  Three people ran me through a checklist of questions.  My port was activated.  The anesthesiologist and surgeon introduced themselves and joked around.  I was wheeled down to the operating room, given some happy juice through the IV, told a joke, heard a joke, and woke up in recovery.

The recovery staff was friendly and helpful.  After checking my bandage, incision, and vitals, I was moved to a release area.  We (or rather Ann, I wasn’t about to remember anything!) were given after surgery care instructions and information on a surgical follow up.  We left Day Surgery with me on foot and walked over to the Dana Farber patient garage.  Our ride home was easy, at least for me.  I fell fast asleep as soon as we hit Storrow Drive and woke on our driveway at home.

I’m now over 37% through radiation, will be over halfway next Friday.  My tube is in.  These benchmarks underline my progress.  I’m sitting in Ann’s recliner, currently the most comfortable seat for me.  Getting in or out of bed or off the couch does seriously sting.  I figure this will ease over the weekend.  Some time next week, the surgeon will peel off a rubber washer (sits below the tube nexus) and move the tube about an inch to relieve the pressure and discomfort.  I feel good and my attitude is very up, very Bring It On!  I do understand that the second half or radiation treatments will be much harder than the first.  But every treatment brings me that much closer to the finish.

Thanks everyone for your words of comfort and support.  I carry you with me, especially on days like today, when the challenges are greater.  I’m so grateful for all y’all.

Love…

Richard

1 comment:

  1. Tubed! It sounds like summer and a slow-flowing river. It sounds like such a good thing. And look at you, typing instead of sleeping all day. Superman.

    Over a third of the way through radiation. Amazing. Fabulous. Yes, I know the second half is worse than the first. I’ve heard that. But, the finish line is better than the starting line, even though it’s more difficult and even though you’ll be worn out and you’ll have less energy and you’ll need to do some healing. It’s triumphant, the finish line is. Triumph makes up for a lot of discomfort.

    I’m glad that Little Bang was able to sort out her table today. Sometimes a gal just has to do a little sorting out. I have no doubt that Little Bang has got the stuff to sort out any number of things.

    It snowed again today in Denver, faux snow, air snow, the kind that disappears before it hits the ground, but swirls while it’s falling. But, it’s warmer today, more comfortable than yesterday … At least, it feels warmer to me. Maybe I’m just warmer today, getting used to Colorado and this unfamiliar town. The pedestrian mall downtown is busting with musicians and hustlers and tourists and fashionably down-and-out hipsters and convention-goers. We have walked and walked this afternoon … and I have wished you well with each step.

    Is it Friday? (I don’t know, I’m on vacation.) Do you have the weekend off? Woohoo!

    Kiss your pretty wife for me. I send you good Rocky Mountain vibes, my friend.

    ReplyDelete