Thursday, April 15, 2010

April 15, 2010 – Radiation treatment 2 [33 to go]

I won’t start off by saying that today is a taxing day, but my iPhone calendar does make note of it.  Forgive me, I woke from a very heavy power nap and have been trying to clear my head ever since.  Just had a scrumptious lunch (PBJ, soy yogurt, chocolate silk soy milk) and my body is staying in a seated position without the extreme urge to lie prone on the couch.  Rudy Dog keeps an eye on me.  We napped together earlier and I think he thinks another nap would be a fine idea.  Why so tired?

My back is still bothering me though it’s better than yesterday.  Last night, I took a Diazepam and a pain pill before bedtime.  The combination is effective for my spasms.  Also, it knocks me right out.  When I woke this morning at 5:30 am, I was stiff and sore but the spasms were gone.  Why were we up so early?

My initial radiation treatment yesterday was at the fine time of 2:20 pm.  The next nine, including today, are at 8:40 am, smack on the nose of Boston rush hour.  So we needed to leave Worcester at 6:30 am.  The remaining treatments will be at the ideal time for avoiding traffic of 10:40 am.

The ride in today took a little less than two hours (arrived at Dana Farber parking garage at about 8:20 am) but I don’t remember much of it.  The meds from the night before were still doing their thing and I snored my way down I-90.  The rest of the day went exactly like yesterday.  I checked in at nuclear medicine, donned a johnny, and we sat until my name was called.  A tech brought me to the radiation room, hooked up my iPhone to their stereo, and helped me onto the table.  Another tech quickly put my mask on and locked me in place.  Then the techs left and alignment x-rays were taken.  Today, I needed to be shifted to the right a bit.  Then the linear accelerator did its thing.  It occurred to me that it’s a good thing I’m a nose breather.  As tight as the mask’s mesh is, I’m not certain that I could breathe through my mouth.

I decided that a drowsy morning called for ethereal jazz.  So, today’s music was from Miles Davis – “Right Off (Take 12)” from The Complete Jack Johnson Sessions followed by “All Blues” from Kind Of Blue.  A few folks asked which of BeJae’s songs played yesterday.  They were “You Married Louise”, “Navigating Limbo”, and “Out Of The Heartland” from Navigating Limbo and “Let’s Drive On (Jackie Says)”, “Iowa”, and “Those Summer Nights” from Red Cross Woman. I’ll list songs going forward.

After my treatment, I changed back to street clothes (a Webster Alumni sweatshirt for good luck) and Ann & I set off for Worcester.  The ride home was easy, light traffic and fair skies.  When we arrived home, I lay down on the couch, Rudy assumed the position, and the rest you know.

I feel well and stronger, still no side effects from the radiation.  I would have ridden the LifeCycle today, but my back is sore in a spot that tells me a ride would be counterproductive.  I have a bad habit of exercising through pain and making an injury much worse.

Thanks everyone for the words of comfort and support.  We’re over halfway through the full treatment cycle.  You’ve made this a gentler, warmer, and easier ride.

Love…

Richard

1 comment:

  1. Ah, so happy you’re making friends with Little Big Bang. She’s so friendly now, even though she sometimes gets up too early. I know that she’ll probably give you the blues before it’s all over, but, in the end, she’ll come through for you … And coming through for you is coming through for us … Because you are a fine man and we all love you. You shine like rain on a blacktop road.

    Tell Little Big Bang I said, "Hey."

    Tell her I said, "Thanks."

    Tell her I said, "Come on now, be gentle, act right. You've got important work to do. Do it well. Do it easy. Yeah."

    ReplyDelete