Tuesday, April 27, 2010

April 27, 2010 – Radiation 10 [25 to go] – Swallows

Today marks 10 radiation sessions in the book, twenty-five to go.  It’s good to be in double figures!  We’re on the new Little Bang time, moving from 8:40 am to 10:40 am.  Jeff (& Nancy) has the block after me.  It’s always good to see Jeff looking well and he says he feels good.  He’s about two weeks ahead of me on the same treatment protocol.  Today’s music was from SONiA (of Disappear Fear)’s recording Almost Chocolate – tracks played: “Fallin”, “Tattoo”, “13”, and “November Or Nothing”.  I have a special request for Little Bang via email that I’ll play for her tomorrow.

This is a special drive to Boston week by Susan & Jesse (Tuesday and Thursday.)  They’ve have been friends with Ann & I throughout our married lives.  Our children grew up together and remain close.  I’ve known Jesse since I was in diapers (no jokes, please.)  We grew up a street apart and his backyard was on the way to my Nana & Zady’s home.  Jesse’s Mom would wave to me as I passed by on my walk to or from.

Today, Susan drove me to Dana Farber.  We had a fun ride in heavier than expected traffic (then again, is there such a thing as expected traffic in Boston?)  I warned Susan that many of the people working in the clinics are “kids”, i.e. the age of our children.  We talked all the way into town.  With nearly thirty years of history and a pretty interesting now, we barely skimmed the surface of topics.  We did get enough political venting in, complete with accents.

The first appointment was with the Speech & Swallow Therapist.  Susan is an Occupational Therapist.  I asked if she wanted to sit in on the session and she did.  As we began, M., the Speech & Swallow Therapist, brought in a Clinical Research Coordinator, who presented me the opportunity to participate in an acupuncture trial.  The trial will attempt to determine whether acupuncture can make swallowing easier during treatments (radiation and chemo) and whether it can facilitate the healing process.  Ann & I will sit down and figure out if the scheduling is doable.  I am ready and happy to participate in any research at Dana Farber.  Whatever makes if easier for the next person coming in the room is meaningful.  After the presentation, M. ran through her series of weekly benchmarks, checked my mouth and tongue (what’s a trip to DFCI without a tongue depressor invading my oral cavity?), and watched me swallow.  She prepared me for the coming changes in swallowing as I move forward with radiation treatment.  Susan and M. talked a bit about their training and clinical experience.  I was glad that Susan had a bit of the day.

After Speech & Swallow, we headed down to L2 to the radiation department.  After my treatment, Susan checked me for fresh meshface.  Yup, forehead to chin to neck.

We had a nice ride back to Worcester, time for more conversation.  When I arrived home, Ann was already here on her lunch break.  Lunch sounded good, so I made a tuna salad sandwich.  Sandwiches are getting to be more of a challenge even with Percocet.  Ann left for work.  I did my swallow exercise set #2, then hopped back onto my Kindle and read more of Mariantes’ Matterhorn.  Fed the dogs dinner and took them out for a run.  Then, I rode the LifeCycle for twelve minutes at half resistance.  Ann returned from work and our friend Pam brought in supper from El Basha, babaganoush with pita bread and lentil soup.  We’ve known Pam since our children were in preschool.  It’s a real blessing to have friendships that span decades, so much life in common.

Tomorrow is a light day at Dana Farber, just a radiation treatment.  That’s good because Thursday and Friday will be busy days.  Hey, by the end of the week, I’ll have 12 radiation sessions and one feeding tube in!

Thanks everyone for being here with your support.  It’s your company and comfort that makes this journey much gentler.

Love…

Richard

4 comments:

  1. Richard... I sure hope it is easy for you and I am praying..... I breezed through it with minor burns on my back and minor irriatation to my eusophagus (spell)..but nothing that liquid loratab couldn't cure and the magic mouthwash..most of my damage was after with the scar tissue..but as you know my case was different...

    Your strength amazes me... keep it up...

    ReplyDelete
  2. My strength comes from all your support.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are one tough Cookie... I have seen many buckle under not even half of what you are going through....I have been following you right along... You have the WILL and the strength and the awesome attitude... those alone will see you through (not to mention God shining down on you)

    Hugs..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely agree with TaDa. You are amazing.

    I am so grateful that you have such good friends along for this ride. History is important when we face the really difficult challenges. It seems particularly significant that Susan and Jesse, your longtime friends, join you as you navigate double digits with Little Bang. I know it’s still a long way home … but, you’re a long way in now. The gas tank is still full and you’re not alone.

    I send you love, my friend.

    ReplyDelete