Wednesday, April 21, 2010

April 21, 2010 – Radiation 6 [29 to go, under 30!]

The greenies washed out of my system and I slept well last night.  Woke up feeling strong and rested even after yesterday’s activities.  Alan picked me up at 6:30 am and we drove to Boston.  The ride was a real pleasure.  We had a chance to talk without distraction, to catch up on the small details that define the edges of our lives.  Traffic was light, only a few snags on The Mass Pike, and we arrived at Dana Farber about 7:40 am.  I was the first patient to scan in at nuclear medicine and was in the room with Little Bang before 8:00 am.  Before I got on the table, I snapped five shots of this magnificent machine.  Here’s one, the full five are at this link:



Please note my mask sitting on Little Bang’s radiation arm awaiting my arrival.  As soon as I lie on the table, the mask gets snapped on so I’m immobile, the music plays, and Little Bang dances all around me firing the green lasers and the red radiation.  Today’s music was from Boston’s own (though now living in LA) Laurie Geltman’s first album No Power Steering.  Tracks played were “Saddle Up Sally”, “Red, Green, Black & Blue”, “Bloodline”, and “Growing Down”.  I had “Bobby Called From Texas” cued up but the tech hit the wrong line on the iPhone.  No problem, there isn’t a bad track on the CD.

It was a few minutes after 8:00 am when I returned to the waiting room.   While I was being treated, Alan didn’t have time to finish the crossword puzzle and start the Boston Globe Sports section.  Before getting back in the car, we walked over to The Longwood Food Court (by way of the Boston Marathon corridor near the Lance Armstrong Center) and grabbed some coffee.  Oh, java delight, I have my taste buds back for a little while!  Café Americano rocks.

After today’s treatment, my neck felt warm for the first time.  I don’t know if it was a little leftover flush from the greenie steroids or the start of the next stage.  My dry mouth is definitely accelerating.  I’m going to enjoy this break when food and drink have marvelous flavor and my mouth and swallowing are pain free.

Alan & I had an easy ride home, no traffic to speak of and more time for conversation.  We’ll have another round trip to Boston tomorrow and I’m looking forward to the time and talk.

A little while after I arrived home, Ann came home for lunch.  We ate (I had a massive lunch, lots of protein and Iron), caught up on our days, and relaxed until she had to go back to work.  Feeling strong, I headed out on errands to the post office and the pharmacy.  I was considering a LifeCycle ride (that would be two days in a row) on my return, but my body told me I needed a nap.  So, Rudy & I hopped up, laid down on the couch, and fell into deep naps.  Mine was deeper; Rudy got up at one point to check out someone walking past our house.  I can nap with ease knowing he’s on alert!

Got wonderful news from Cousin Betsy today.  Her PET/CT Scan was clean and she is free from cancer!  Now, she can focus on recovery and getting stronger.  It’s a year long process, but she’ll be able to return to teaching come September.  Mazel Tov, Cousin Betsy!  Make you go from strength to strength.

Thanks for all the emails, phone calls, and cards.  I really appreciate how you all reach out to me and raise my spirits.  The support and comfort make my days easier and my motivation firm.

Love…

Richard

3 comments:

  1. That machine looks amazing! And so are you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boston Globe I am so jealous !!!!

    Keep it up Richard your doing great..

    God Bless

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll tell you what, that Little Bang is a good lookin' gal, isn't she? The thing I like best about her is that she hates the Alien and loves you. That right there makes her okay with me. Another thing I really like about Little Bang is that she's very good at her job. I like that a lot.

    Hooray for great coffee. I know it will probably start to taste funny again. But, once all this is over, it'll taste great again. I wonder how this whole experience will change your relatioinship with food. I'm thinking that, in the end, this experience will make food and delicious, strong coffee even more enjoyable for you.

    I realize that Little Bang will get rougher and tougher as you two get to know each other better. But, she's on your side. And I'm on your side.

    Love to you, my friend.

    ReplyDelete