Saturday, April 24, 2010

April 24, 2010 – Tired boy, take 2 (3, 4, ?)

Slept until 8:30 am this morning, had my Boost breakfast, and did my morning computer thing.  Ann got up around 9:00 am and we ate breakfast and talked about the day.  The sun was already pouring into the house.  I did my first set of swallow exercises.  One of the exercises involves yawning.  Didn’t need to fake that!  Around 9:30 am, I fell back on the couch.  Next I knew it was 11:30 am and mandatory time to get up, wash up, and get dressed.  We had company coming!  I took one longing look at the couch and got myself going.

The condition of my mouth is changing day to day from radiation in a way different than from chemo.  With chemo, the mouth sores and breakdown of the cheeks happened quickly and seemed to focus on particular spots.  Today, I continue to feel the gradual breakdown of my entire mouth.  It’s a little sore, an indication of what’s to come.

At noon, Ann’s Dad Bill & his girlfriend Mary arrived.  Dan came into the house a few minutes later.  Dan and Mary were meeting for the first time.  We sat and talked for a half hour or so and then drove to Uno in downtown Worcester for lunch.  Neither Bill nor Mary had been to an Uno restaurant before.  We had a lovely meal.  Between the four of us, we managed to take advantage of the diverse offerings on the menu.  I think the highpoint was the shared dessert, Chocolate Malt Cake accompanied by two scoops of ice cream all covered with chocolate sauce.

During my meal, I discovered that my taste buds had decided to head south.  I couldn’t taste my salad or vegetable soup.  Uno vegetable soup is a favorite treat.  Both the salad dressing and the soup burned my taste buds, not so bad I couldn’t eat, but enough to make me aware of what’s to come.  I’ve had a nice food “vacation” the past weeks.  I’ve enjoyed tasting my food and looking forward to eating different meals.  As I head into the next steps of radiation side affects, I will anticipate the full taste of food.  The past weeks are a real motivator as I look to the future.

After lunch, we returned home and sat and talked some more.  Bill & Mary set off for home in mid-afternoon.  I did my second set of swallow exercises, and then the couch beckoned.  I caught another deep nap.  My body is telling me that I need both sleep and exercise.  Next week will be busy, five days of radiation mixed with other appointments at Dana Farber.  Monday is chemo day with five stops on the agenda.  Friday, after radiation, the insertion of my feeding tube is scheduled at Brigham & Women’s Hospital.  Sleep and exercise sound good.

Oh, I wondered how it would look if I did my swallow exercises at a restaurant.  What would people think?  And would I empty the room?

Got wonderful news via Cousin Arlene yesterday.  Darlene’s CT/PET scan showed that she is cancer free.  That is beyond wonderful!

Thanks everyone for the messages of comfort and support.  I feel the love and it brightens my days.

Love…

Richard

No comments:

Post a Comment