Friday, April 23, 2010

April 23, 2010 – Radiation 8 [27 to go] – tired boy!

Eight radiation treatments down, twenty-seven to go!  Bring It On!  Though I must admit I'm happy to have the weekend off.  I remember thinking that 35 straight days without a break might be better.  Uh-uh, which I will say with more conviction as the side affects ramp up.

Between five straight days of the drive to and from Boston, the treatment plus whatever other appointments I have that day, and I guess getting up at 5:30 am to be at Dana Farber on time, I'm kind of worn out.  Was exhausted today when I woke up.   Slept on the way in (don't worry, Ann was driving!), I think napped during the treatment, and slept from 9:30-11:30 when we got home.  I may have napped all day, but we have an appointment (at the house) this afternoon and papers to sign, so I needed to get up.  Still hope to ride the LifeCycle this afternoon, think it will give me a burst of energy.  Moderate exercise is that way for me.  And is recommended by my medical team to improve the speed and efficacy of my healing.

We left Worcester around 6:30 am.  Despite encountering a temporary parking lot on the Mass Pike due to a van accident, we arrived at Dana Farber around 7:45 am.  I scanned in, dressed in a johnny, and got called in before I sat down in the waiting room.  Music for today was from The Nields’ Bob On The Ceiling – tracks played: “Be Nice To Me”, “James”, “Just Like Christopher Columbus”, “Merry Christmas, Mr. Jones”, and a little of “Ash Wednesday”.  This CD is one of a group that is special to me, the hot recordings when I first started doing my radio show back in the 1990’s.  Odd to think of how long ago that really was.  My life was enriched by all the wonderful artists I met in studio, by the friends who remain friends over the decades.

I’m ready to enjoy this weekend.  We have plans to go out to restaurants with friends and family.  The side affects from radiation are kicking in and I won’t waste any time anticipating them.  I’ll just eat my way there!  With vigor!

Thanks everyone for your support and comfort.  I never feel alone and look at all the cards piled on the windowsills and at all the email messages sitting in the “Alien” folder on my MacBook and realize how lucky I am to have you in my life.

Love…

Richard

1 comment:

  1. It’s hard for me to believe that your Zero-Dark-Thirty-Let’s-Get-Up-and-Play-Records radio show was so long ago. It was the beginning of our friendship, which made getting up early, driving across the country, playing shows and making CDs all seem very worthwhile. As I was packing for the move to Ohio, I ran across the tapes (that’s right, I said tapes … cassette tapes … I don’t miss the cassette tape era, I really don’t) of the show I did with you live on the radio. You introduced me to some wonderful music and musicians during your radio days. I will always appreciate that.

    I read your blogs and realize how lucky I am to have you in my life.

    ReplyDelete