Sunday, April 4, 2010

April 4, 2010 – Crawling out of the hole

I slept heavily last night.  Got up around 9:30 am, had breakfast and only some meds.  My mouth was feeling better, so I cut out the pain meds and Magic Mouthwash.  I did my usual computer check, then settled back on the couch and fell fast asleep.

Dan arrived a bit after noon and brought lunch from Pho Dakao.  I had my first “real food” in maybe ten days – Tofu Summer Rolls – tofu and minced vegetables rolled in rice paper with peanut sauce on the side.  After lunch, we (with Rudy Dog) drove to my parents’ home for a visit.  We stayed for about an hour, until I started feeling fatigued.

We returned home and Dan & Ann & I sat outside.  Today was another gorgeous Spring day.  Dan threw the ball until the dogs wore themselves out playing fetch.  After a while, I was too warm, and soon found myself sleeping on the couch again.  This was beginning to be one of these visits where Dan watches me sleep.  Not too much fun for him.  Woke up mid-afternoon and we decided to watch a bit of TV.  We had episodes of “Modern Family” and “The Big Bang Theory” on the DVR.  Laughter is good; it pulled me fully awake.

We cobbled together a bit of supper.  I was able to eat a Boca Burger without too much discomfort.  I’m hopeful that tomorrow, I’ll be able to resume a near regular diet.

I’m not certain why I’m so tired today.  It could be the change in all my meds as I finish the difficult period of the chemo cycle.  Perhaps, it’s the aggregate fatigue of the chemo process.  I do know that I have to snap out of it.  Tomorrow, I need to get busy and stay busy.  There is a long road ahead and I must be ready to move forward shoulder down into the wind.

Thanks everyone for your support, hopes, and good thoughts.  Thanks for being on this ride with me.

Love…

Richard

3 comments:

  1. that magic mouthwash pulled me through at times... Sorry I haven't been around.... went to the beach yesterday and despite my husband covering me with shade, I got nailed with sunburn on my face (compliments of my meds)... oh well... glad you are feeling up to Par.... keep up the great attitude...

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember you predicted a few days ago that you’d probably feel better by Monday. Of course, I have my fingers crossed and my expectations up. Those expectations can be dangerous fun, I know that. You can never tell for sure what the chemo cycle will bring … or when …

    There’s this great drummer in Des Moines named John Kizilarmut. He sat in with us for one show when our regular drummer couldn’t make it. He told me about playing in a show band for a while that required him to enter and exit the stage on a unicycle. Kiz said he didn’t know how to ride a unicycle when he started with the band and that he neither got very good at it nor learned to like it. But, he could ride just well enough to wobble to his drum kit, play the show and wobble back off again … night after night after night. Kiz plays at such a high level that it’s hard to believe a human being can do the things he does on drums. But, he just wasn’t much on a unicycle.

    I think of this every time we talk about the chemo cycle.

    I hope that the ride is good tomorrow and, even if it isn’t quite fun, I hope that the rocks are out of the road at least.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Foxy - Glad spring has come to you as well. Spent the day on the filthy back porch and cleaned enough just to sit out and enjoy the day. Off to the AWP Writers Conference in Denver on Tues. and am overwhelmed; lots of academics. Will try to watch and learn. Two new wild Mrs. Noah's and when I get back I should send them along to you. Both are very silly and funny and surprising to me as I struggle with my own demons. The newest on is Mrs. Noah Chats with Simba, a sestina. When in doubt I return to the sestina as it takes me places that surprise me and they seem to write themselves, I just don't get it. Again, I hope you are saving what you're writing as there is great beauty in it. I get to touch you through your words, I get to be with you. Thanks for letting me go through this with you. I love you, Richard. My love to Ann.
    janie

    ReplyDelete