Monday, May 24, 2010

May 24, 2010 – Radiation 29 [6 to go] : 6 and counting

Today the traffic on the Mass Pike was heavy but the traffic on L2 for Little Bang was light.  The staff drummed on the dressing room door “are you ready yet?”  I was #1 on the runway to my favorite ‘lil linear accelerator. 


Ready-to-roll: Power Port nestled just outside of right shoulder.  ConMed 20 F PEG Tube (second 18mm feed) feeding tube assembly.  Aquaphor neck wrap.

Today’s music was from an old classic live album The Rolling Stones’ Get Your Ya-Ya’s Out.  Tracks played were “Jumpin’ Jack Flash”, “Carol”, “Stray Cat Blues”, and “Love In Vain”.  Had intended to play different tracks (“Midnight Rambler”, “Prodigal Son”) but setup time was short.

Oh well, got off the table with the call of SIX TO GO!  Oh yeah! 

Adam & I went to meet to Dr. T.’s (radiation oncologist) team.  They examined my teeth, throat, and tongue.  My pain med and calorie/protein level were checked.  The skin on the directly irradiated areas of my neck was compared to last week and it was decided that an exterior Aquaphor throat dressing is now appropriate.  My mouth shows the war that going on has neared its peak of collateral damage.  My weight and diet numbers made Dr. T. happy.  He said I’m doing all the things they’ve asked of me.  We briefly reviewed the post-treatment schedule.  Then, Dr. T. and the team left Ad & I alone with nurse Christina.  She cleaned my neck, opened identical sterile plastic transparent pads.  Christina loaded the pads with Aquaphor and form fitted them to my neck.  Then, she rolled a gauze bandage around my neck covering the whole thing.  It’s prime in the photo above.  I will wear a couple of these a day (maybe three) until the end of treatment.

Shortly after Ad & I returned home, Rabbi Seth came for a visit.  Ad had been looking forward to seeing Seth.  The three of us had an insightful conversation about the nature of disease and its effects on family life.  We looked at this nexus from practical, emotional, and spiritual angles.  I cherish my conversations with Seth; they leave me feeling lighter and stronger.

Tomorrow is the balance of my “normal” Monday.  I’ll have blood drawn, get radiation, have a rad wrap put on, see Dr. H. and the medical oncology team, and get complimentary chemo.

I’ll be a tired boy by tomorrow afternoon!

Thanks everyone for your comfort and support.  This has been a very long road and I couldn’t imagine traveling it alone.  Friends and family are nurturing and healing.

Love…

Richard

2 comments:

  1. Geeezz Richard you are always so techinical... LOL I always have to look words up from your blog..(not your fault LOL mine) well I sure hope that ointment helps.. from what i read on it when I googled it ..it should... and you only have six more to go (well four this week) which will give the soreness a break over the long weekend... hang in there.. you are almost done..

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I love the phrase "complimentary chemo." It sounds like something you'd be offered on a plane for no extra charge ... Like peanuts (which are no longer complimentary) and a soft drink ... "Could I offer you some complimentary chemo?" "Uhhhh ... No thanks."

    Oh, you look so cute in all of your medical gear. Nobody else sends pictures like these. But, you've always been good at knowing what to photograph. I remember when we first met in person in San Francisco. You photographed the street in front of our hotel first in one direction and then in the other. I thought that was strange at the time. But, those pictures made that trip very memorable for me, memorable in way that it would not otherwise have been. I loved the other pictures you took, too, of course, pictures of Ann, Adam and Dan, pictures of Jackie and me, pictures of the lovely, elaborate gardens we visited. But, those pictures of the street where we stayed made my memories of that trip so vivid and enduring in a way that I can't completely explain.

    I am happy to be able to see as well as hear what all of this is like for you. It's an amazing journey and you are taking such good care of your passengers. Thank you for that.

    ReplyDelete