Thursday, May 6, 2010

May 6, 2010 – Radiation 17 [18 to go] – Counting…

Ann & I set off for Boston at 7:30 am today.  We often have the fifteen-minute debate (should we leave at 7:45 am?), but end up allowing the extra time.  Today, we needed it all.  Don’t know why, but we hit two big snarls on the Mass Pike.

The first appointment of the day was with Maria, the Speech & Swallow Therapist.  We went over my swallow exercise program and current food/liquid intake.  Breakfast has been a challenging meal for me this week.  I wake up, take pain meds, have a Boost, and wait forty-five minutes before eating.  It’s still hard to eat over the night’s dry mouth and general soreness in my mouth and on my tongue.  And while fighting off early morning fatigue.  Maria suggested that instead of eating orally, I just “do a couple of cans” of formula through the tube and let my body wake gradually.  I think that’s an excellent plan.

Next, we went down to L2 for my radiation treatment.  We were about a half-hour early and someone must have been late.  They took me in immediately.  I asked the techs if they liked Austin Blues and they said heck yes, so today’s music was from Sue Foley’s Walk In The Sun, tracks played were: “Try To Understand’, “Give It To Me”, “Walk In The Sun”, “The Snake”, and “Lover’s Call”.

My appointments finished early, we decided to stop and do a few errands on the way home.  I napped most of the way into Boston and napped most of the way back, too.  Thursdays are high fatigue days.  Don’t know if it’s the sequencing of chemo and radiation, the schedule of treatments, or what.  Thursday, I crash.

Ann watched me sleeping on the ride home cut our stops to CVS, a quick lunch at El Basha (lentil soup still smooth), and Petco where she picked up food for Blaze, Adam’s Labrador Retriever.

And yes, that’s the big news.  Adam and Blaze arrive from Colorado tonight!  Ad can work from here and drive me into Dana Farber daily.  That takes a lot of pressure off of us, especially off Ann’s schedule.

Renee is driving me tomorrow.  I have radiation, acupuncture, and the follow up for my tube surgery.

I’m afraid I’m fading.  I took a three-hour nap this afternoon, but my body wants me to lie down on the couch again.  I will listen to my body.

Thanks for your comfort and support.  You all light the way for me on this journey.

Love…

Richard

3 comments:

  1. So great to hear about your day, even the more difficult "crash" days. I am learning so much more about this process than I have ever known. Thank you so much for that.

    Jackie left for Asheville after work today. It'll be just me and the kitties for the next couple of days. I'm so glad I have you to keep me company.

    Tomorrow is Friday. The streets are ours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adam n Blaze (son)? I am glad you have company and they can pitch in..this will all be over before you know it and you will land on your feet!

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blaze = sweet Black Labrador Retriever!

    ReplyDelete