Friday, May 14, 2010

May 14, 2010 – Radiation 23 [12 to go] – tick tick tick

Adam & I had a slick ride into Boston today – no traffic!  We walked into Dana Farber and even the building seemed in “holiday mode” – comparatively few people around.  Did I miss something?  My best guess was “nice weekend to head to The Cape, The Beaches, NH, VT, ME, or Newport”.  But, uh, was there a holiday?



It was festive down in radiation oncology.  Today was Caribbean Friday.  The staff dressed up in colorful garb and leis.  Reggae music (without lyrics) was pumped into the department.  The staff danced and hula’ed while finishing the setup of Little Bang.  I was locked down in place and the radiation began.  At some point, I noticed that the treatment was taking longer than normal.  When the techs returned, I asked and was told that they had to reboot the machine mid-treatment.  Happy Holiday!



After I changed out of my johnny, one of the radiation oncology nurses checked my incision.  With the care changes (Desitin, Excilon drain sponges), the wound is healing cleanly.

After Adam drove us home, he packed up the car.  He & Blaze dog are spending the weekend up in Burlington, where he did his undergrad work.  It’s an opportunity for him to see friends he rarely gets to see.  When Ad said he was coming out to visit for three weeks, it seemed like such a long visit.  Now, he’s been here over a week and the time seems to be flying by.

Speaking of flying by, as of today I have twelve (12) radiation treatments remaining.  When I started radiation, I didn’t know where I’d be mentally or physically when two-thirds the way through.  It’s not fun, but I’m feeling better than I ever anticipated I would. 

Ann & I have a quiet weekend planned.  I’m hoping to get caught up on sleep before manic Monday.

Thanks everyone for your support and comfort.  I am feeling better than I ever anticipated I would because of you.  You all are my anchor.

Love…

Richard

No comments:

Post a Comment