Wednesday, May 12, 2010

May 12, 2010 – Radiation 21 [14 to go] – 60% in

The pattern holds true.  Monday and Tuesday, I have energy.  Wednesday (and Thursday, uh-oh), I am fatigued.  So here I am blogging when my fingers won’t type and my brain looks longingly at the couch.  We’ll give it a go!

Last night, Ann wasn’t crazy about how my stomach tube looked.  At the same time, I had a problem; it was clogged.  I finally snaked the top (where the funnel connects) with a round toothpick and got the liquid flowing.  Ann called Dr. H. the fellow and discussed the tube.  Dr. H. decided that we could wait until the next day when the radiation oncology nurses could examine it.  This morning, Ann thought the incision looked redder and the discharge yellowier (puss like?)  I tried to use the tube, found it clogged again; only this time snaking didn’t clear it out.  Ann decided that she would drive to Boston, so she could be at the examination.  Adam stayed home with the doggies and took on the errands.

We left Worcester around 7:30 am.  After doing my swallow exercises (now my car ride routine), I fell fast asleep.  My first appointment was acupuncture at 9:30 am.  We arrived in plenty of time.  While I was getting needled, Ann went to the food court for a snack and the optician to look at glasses.  (She was successful at finding both a snack and new frames.)  My second acupuncture session was more relaxing than the first and the first was calming.  It seemed I was on the table longer, but that was all perception.  We got into the treatment with little conversation and time stretched out.  I drifted in and out of sleep.  The acupuncturist returned, eased the needles out (cannot feel them going in or out), asked me some questions related to the session, and wished me a good week.  I like him; his presence alone is soothing.

Ann & I walked over to radiation oncology.  I scanned in while Ann located a nurse.  I was next on Little Bang, so the nurse went to set up an exam room.  Today’s music was from Bob Dylan The 30th Anniversary Concert Celebration.  Tracks played were “It Ain’t Me Babe” (performed by Johnny Cash & June Carter Cash), “What Was It You Wanted” (performed by Willie Nelson), “I’ll Be Your Baby Tonight” (performed by Kris Kristofferson), and “Highway 61 Revisited” (performed by Johnny Winter).  I saw Jeff on the way out.  He looked a little haggard but well.  He has five treatments left after today and is very happy about that.  We agreed that once you’re past twenty treatments, you feel like the end is in sight.  For Jeff, the light at the end of the tunnel is bright!

After radiation, the nurse took us to an examining room.  She looked at the tube area with Ann and didn’t think there was an issue (e.g. infection) but decided to call in one of the resident physicians.  Next, she fiddled with the tube itself and showed us a couple of tricks to get the fluid flowing.  While I was doing a can, the resident arrived and began to examine the tube incision.  Ann pointed out her areas of concerns.  He didn’t see an immediate problem, but decided to check it for the next two days now that he had a baseline for comparison.  He also suggested using Desitin and pads that will cushion the tube to help the healing.

Our day at Dana Farber complete, we headed back to Worcester.  In the car, I did my swallow exercises and then fell into a deep nap.  When we returned home, Ann & I went back to napland.  Wednesday equals fatigue.  I tried to return a few emails/postings but kept falling asleep.  So, I took another nap.  Now, I’m yawning, spacing a bit, but managing to write.

Thanks to the folks who wrote about the current nature of this blog.  It truly helps.  And thanks everyone for your prayers, comfort, and support during these challenging days.  You smooth out the bumps in the road and keep a smile on my face!

Love…

Richard

1 comment:

  1. Sending you all the energy and strength of this long beautiful spring toward your healing and renewed Being.

    Many thanks to All who are with you body and mind on this journey... Including Little Bang.

    ReplyDelete