Wednesday, May 26, 2010

May 26, 2010 – Radiation 31 [4 to go], books

Question of the day: What books are not safe to display on your desk at work?

My answer:  Books can be very dangerous, especially when reflecting contagious ideas, but I’ve never met a book that I’d be afraid to have on my desk.  Of course, I have the luxury of owning my desk for the past twenty years so it’s a bit of a cop out answer.

Your answer: (option in comments)

Today, with the music pumping (or bluesing) out “Four” (as fo-wah) at the perfect moment in time, I felt my mask being unbuckled.  I held up my right hand with four separated fingers and thumb at 45-degree salute pumping!  “Fo-wah!”, I croaked in my very best and loudest croak.  “Fo-wah!” I waved.  Today’s aptly timed musical choice was from Roy Book Binder’s Live Book… Don’t Start Me Talkin…; tracks played were “Black Dog Blues” and “Candy Man”.  This is a contest.  I’m not going to explain the significance of the second track and Fo-wah.  That’s up to you and again in the comments section and again very optional.

We saw a burning car on the Mass Pike, on the way into Boston.

My appointments today were with the acupuncturist, nutritionist, and radiation.  Aced them all.

“…I felt my mask being unbuckled…” - the lights are low during radiation and the music is LOUD (by request!)  Through the mask mesh and without my glasses, I see shadows.  Occasionally with Little Bang set on safety, a tech will come in and make a physical adjustment to my position, to the table, or places I cannot tell because I have not seen (glasses, mesh – see above!)

With the sessions’ length in time being inexact, it’s always a mystery as to when it’s over.  Ok, ok, ok, I know the last routine, probably the whole thing, but there’s GOT to be some mystery!  Like my Montreal cousins say Ey! ?  I do know the length of the songs, though, and today’s session didn’t just seem to fly by, it was under fifteen minutes.  Nice job, rad techs!

Thanks everyone for your support and love.  I’m told that I look great for someone in his last week of radiation.  That’s because of you, sweet family & friends!

Love…

Richard

4 comments:

  1. Fo-wah! Fo-wah!

    I remember that Roy Bookbinder used to travel in a motor home and fish during the day at gigs on rivers and lakes. I played right after him at a venue in Oswego, NY years ago. They told stories of his guitar playing and his fishing. They took me to the edge of the great lake at midnight and I felt its power even when I couldn’t see it.

    Fo-wah! Fo-Wah!

    No-no books: See. I own my desk, too, so I can put anything I want to on it. The books that are on it right now are Mystic River, by Dennis Lehane (just because I loved Any Given Day so much) and I Married a Communist by Philip Roth. The book I’m reading right now is The Help by Kathryn Sockett. I recommend it.

    Fo-wah! Fo-Wah!

    I love and admire you.

    Fo-wah! Fo-Wah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most recently I was teaching in Vallejo where the students could not be trusted to NOT attack anything of mine in the classroom, so, sadly, no books were on the bookshelf.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Counting Down with ya Foxy.

    Fo-wah! Fo-Wah!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My old copy of the The Rape of the A.P.E (American Puritan Ethic : The Official History of the Sex Revolution, 1945-1973 : The Obscening of America, an R.S. V.P.) by Alan Sherman survived cross country and forestry work travels where we used to take turns reading aloud on breaks from tree planting in the mountains of the NW and SW. What it didn't survive was being borrowed in the early 80's by a friend who left it on his desk where his dog found it and ate it.

    ReplyDelete