Saturday, May 15, 2010

May 15, 2010 – Weak end stomach slip

Had a real surprise this morning.  Ann slipped Rudy Dog under my arm and went to take a shower.  I patted Rudy and dreamed about being dizzy and throwing up, until an epiphany came about.  Thus – if I didn’t make haste to the bathroom sink, I would vomit in bed.  Not a nice vision, even at 9:15 am.

I haven’t vomited throughout the whole chemo / radiation experience.  I haven’t needed the anti-nausea drugs.  So what was going on here?

In the interest of full disclosure, I can count on one hand the number of times I’ve vomited.  There were times I’d wished I could vomit, but was inept and unsuccessful.  At such times as the legendary bad spicy Polish sausage in Pittsburgh, I watched friends relieve themselves of food poison using a single finger, after which I lay in a crumpled heap for days.

My last memory of vomiting before this morning was the week after one of my pre-(grammar-)school birthday parties.  Renee was conducting a scientific experiment: how many plums could Richard eat?  Results were inconclusive; I finished the bag and the bag finished me.  I was wearing my favorite pajamas given to me by Nancy F. my favorite babysitter.  Mom said the pajamas were finished, too.  That bothered me the most, the PJ’s going into the trash bucket.  Sigh…

At any rate, this morning I made most of the way to the bathroom sink and was able to finish there.  Nice early vision of the day, right, glad you stopped by?

Let’s talk about writing a bit.  I’ve been using computers professionally since 1977.  I’m a touch typist.  A touch typist who is off just a bit because of the treatments?  The fatigue?  Bottom line is that it’s getting increasingly difficult for me answer email and write these postings.  At the same time, it’s really interesting to watch my brain and body misfire.  Just so you know, my output is seriously down.  I’ll keep trying.  If one day this is all gibberish, assume I am conducting the monkey typing experiment.  Also, if my email replies are slow in coming, it’s because I’m sleeping.

Sleeping is what I did most of this fine day.  The nap is in and with it I am out.  I’m about to do my fourth can of the day.  It’s an infant like existence.

Thanks everyone for your comfort, support, and prayers. 

Love…

Richard

2 comments:

  1. awwww Richard it is the chemo...it happened to me... Never got a stomach ache.. never felt it coming... I just be sitting or doing something and up it came (no warning).. We were once in a country western place enjoying the music and my husband saw my look and said oh no... it was up and out and in my shirt before I could run... I whipped my shirt off and ran out of the place in my Bra...(now I know you are laughing) hang in there ... I was so grateful the old days of throwing up morning noon and night during chemo were fixed with mondern meds..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, I'll feel grateful about this then!

    Thanks, Laura!

    ReplyDelete