Tuesday, May 4, 2010

May 4, 2010 – Radiation 15 [20 to go] – Riding with Lora

This morning I woke up with my first case of “Sahara Desert” mouth.  The radiation nurses warned me of this wake up phenomena.  Beyond normal dry mouth (and I sip water every nighttime pee break, about every ninety minutes) large areas of my mouth were coated with a thick sludge.  I gargled water, no luck.  I ramped it up to Biotene mouthwash, better, broke up a lot off sludge, but ouch!  More water, then time for a Vanilla Boost.  We are progressing with radiation therapy.  Do the math; I’ll have less than twenty to go after tomorrow’s session, but that also means the side effects are picking up.  I saw Jeff today as we passed each other between consecutive slots on Little Bang.  He gave me thumbs up and wished me well.  His voice was hoarse but his attitude great as he asked how my tube was feeling.  The Dana Farber Club!

Our friend Lora picked me up at 8:45 am.  We had an easy ride in.  Somewhere past Natick, I noted the lack of traffic and Lora said don’t jinx us.  We came around the next corner and yup; the backup from the I-90/I-95 interchange slowed us right down.  I should have kept my mouth shut.  Nonetheless, the tie up was minor and we arrived at Dana Farber in plenty of time.

Riding with Lora was a lot of fun.  Conversation never hits a lull with good friends.  We have a plethora of topics: adult children, aging parents, why children & parents won’t do as we suggest (isn’t the sandwich generation always right? ask me in 20 years or so), our common friends, and three+ decades of history and stories.  Yes, Cousin Betsy, we talked about you.  Were your ears ringing?  (Not to worry, all we said was good and true.)  Larry & Lora have two daughters; we have two sons.  Both older children live in the Boston area and have established professional careers.  Both younger children are Ph.D. candidates and live far from home; travel is part of their world.  Mostly, Lora and I had a lot of laughs.  The funny stories won out, but we touched the serious ones, too.

Today was a “light” day at Dana Farber.  After my radiation treatment, we met with two Research Coordinators to sign me for the acupuncture trial.  A doctor’s signature was also required. Dr. H., my oncologist and team leader walked in the room.  He gave his view of the study (a positive one) and we signed the paperwork.  It’s always a treat to see Dr. H.; he exudes competence and confidence.  The Research Coordinators brought us down to the Zakim Center, the home of acupuncture and similar therapies.  We scheduled the twelve sessions, which start this Friday and conclude in September.  I may be in a “sham” (control) group or may be getting the real therapy.  If I’m in the sham group, I’ll get six certificates, each good for a treatment at the Zakim Center.  I won’t know which group I’m in until after the twelfth session.

Lora and I left Dana Farber for Worcester, but made a stop at Whole Foods in Newton.  There isn’t a Whole Foods near Worcester; sadly our old mill town doesn’t attract new businesses especially diverse food markets.  So going to Whole Foods for me is like going to Disney Land with even better eats!  We meandered through the market, department by department, selecting soup & sandwiches for lunch, freshly prepared foods (an incredibly varied and creative assortment), and items to cook later that are not available in regular food supermarkets.  Lora and I have a similar shopping pace.  We like to stop and look at everything, take our time.  And we did!  We ate our lunch, got back in the car, and headed west down the Mass Pike.  Lora, thanks for the ride and the great conversation and shopping.

When I got home, I greeted the doggies and put away the groceries.  After that, I spent the rest of the afternoon doing chores and paying bills.  Tomorrow will be a light day at Dana Farber.  The only appointment is radiation.  It will be good to have some quiet time and maybe nap time when we get home.

Thanks everyone for all the greetings and good wishes.  Your comfort and support makes my days easier and serve as a font for strength.

Love…

Richard

6 comments:

  1. Whole Foods is new here..I can't wait to get into one.. I blasted of another attempt at dieting yesterday (Ugggg) I need to lose this weight... I be damed if I beat cancer to lose my health to overweight issues...

    Hang in there.. You sound good... keep the spirit up..

    If the love of your friends and family could kill the cancer you would be a zillion times cured by now.

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, so you’re still eating the old fashion way. That’s very good, very good indeed. I wonder if acupuncture is good for sludge. I hope so.

    Twenty sessions to go … So, four weeks and you’re done? Amazing. I know that four weeks seems like a very long time when you’re facing mounting side effects. But, it still seems mighty finite. I’ll be heading to Iowa in just about four weeks to play a few shows. It seems like only a short time left to polish up those songs … but, I’ll bet we’ll both be ready to roll when the time comes.

    I’m back in Columbus. I swear, the yard grew half a foot during the six days we were gone. It’s as energetic as your healing will be once you and Little Bang part ways.

    I’m so grateful to the friends and family who provide all of this conversation-filled transportation. Car time can be so wonderful.

    I am thinking of you tonight, my friend. Four more weeks …

    ReplyDelete
  3. You sound so intentional with everything you do, every moment important, very present in the moment. I'm working on that currently. My show got moved to Monday nights from 9-10 a couple months ago and last night we interviewed Tracy Sugarman, author of We Had Sneakers, They Had Guns about the Freedom Summer of 1964 in Mississippi with voter registration. One of the guys that taught in a Freedom School is local and was also on. A bit of a departure from our usual purely literary show, but it's creative nonfiction and reads like a novel. It was so intense, especially coming while I'm writing prose, maybe a memoir, too soon to tell, about Mary and me. I'm not nearly done with that story. So, I recommend the book, very moving. I was 14 and you were younger and I was growing up with a black "help" so it was intense. The book is beautifully written. I don't read history but this was written in such a way that I could.
    I think about you every day and am sending love and healing energy your way. It's so great to be able to keep up with you because of your writing. Thank you so much for doing this. I'm sending you a huge, gentle hug so as not to bump the tube.
    kisses and love to Ann,
    janie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laura,

    Have fun with Whole Foods. Hint: the first time you experience it, don't go in hungry! It's the Disneyland of food!

    Thanks for your notes of comfort & support.

    ReplyDelete
  5. BeJae...

    Wish I could join you in Iowa. Always wanted to meet them Trailer boys! Road trips in moderation are fun. Great way to get to know someone or renew old ties...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Janie...

    Put "We Had Sneakers, They Had Guns" on my reading list. Seems this job of going to doctor's appointments and treatments is busier than I thought, so the books are taking longer. But that's ok. I rather read slowly and reread passages; drink in the author.

    You're writing prose these days? Along with poetry? I'm really looking forward to seeing the Mrs. Noah and Friends manuscript.

    Glad your shoulder is feeling well. Being free from pain is a gift. Stay loose! Enjoy Maui with Katy! Special times. You'll make memories that will fill you for years.

    Love to you and Sondra!

    ReplyDelete