Wednesday, May 5, 2010

May 5, 2010 – Radiation 16 [19 to go] – Less than 20.

I seem to be in a pattern.  Monday and Tuesday, I have plenty of energy.  Monday makes sense despite the six appointments; it is after the weekend.  Tuesday, perhaps I’m still feeling the jolt from Monday’s pre-chemo steroids.  Wednesday and Thursday, I am fatigued even with a light Dana Farber schedule on those days (or maybe because of the light schedule?)  Friday, I’m tired, but shake it off.  It’s the last day of the week.  “It’s Friday and the streets are ours.” – old Boston 1980’s Punk/New Wave proverb.  Today is a tired day, but hey: I have less than twenty radiation treatments left!

Ann & I left the house at 8:45 am.  We drove into the sunshine, a beautiful Massachusetts Spring morning.  Traffic was relatively light until we hit the Cambridge/Allston exit off I-90, but that’s a short tie up.  We arrived early for my radiation treatment.  I scanned in, donned my johnny, and we pulled out our books.  While we were waiting, one of Dr. T.’s nurses came over and checked in on my progress.  Things are stable for now, but it’s good to know the staff is watching. 

My radiation treatment went smoothly.  Today’s music was from Annie Gallup’s Backbone, tracks played were: “Fight The Devil”, “Max”, “John Llewellyn”, “The Girl With Flyaway Hair”, “April 22nd, Somerville, Massachusetts”, and “The Truth About Disguise” [perfect mask song!]  Jim, the head radiation tech, asked me who the artist was, so I introduced him to Annie.

In the waiting room, I said hello to Jeff before he headed in for his treatment.  Dealing with the side effects is getting to him, though he’s trying not to show it.  But Jeff is short.  His last treatment is two weeks from today!  When he finishes, I’ll have nine left.  We all move forward, from newbie to seasoned (Little Bang helps.)

We had an easy ride back to Worcester.  When we arrived home, Ann took a quick nap while I caught up on phone calls.  An hour later, I laid down on the couch to nap just as Ann was getting up to go to work.  I had a long nap, woke to two doggies imploring me to feed them supper.  Fed the pups, then took them out for a run (while I watched. Running is a ways off for me.)  Got together the PEG tube supplies and fed myself a can of formula.  Yum!  It’s kind of weird to be drinking water through my mouth while for the formula is draining through the tube directly into my stomach.  The plan is to take it really easy tonight and get a lot of sleep.  Tomorrow night, Adam arrives from Colorado.  He’ll do the bulk of the driving to Dana Farber over the next three weeks; take a lot of the pressure off of Ann.  Ad can do his research from here.  The Internet makes the world smaller.

Thanks everyone for your emails.  I’m behind on replies, but working on it.  Thanks for all your comfort and support.  Walking this road is much easier when not walking alone.

Love…

Richard

3 comments:

  1. Richard... do not hold Jeff in your glory.. every body is different.. what he goes through may never effect you... or vice versa... hear me there? ... every body is differnt.... example ..... when i was doing mine there was a girl (4 yrs older than me) similar cancer in the lung.. she suffered major burns on her body.. and i though "oh great... that will be me" .. it never happened....hence.. EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT... hang in there... you will be fine. and that feeding tube will be out before you know it.. (know why... cause I pray every night for you)...

    ReplyDelete
  2. My week, at least this week, is opposite - I'm teaching tomorrow, Friday and Saturday. Starting June 14 my Gifted Writers summer camp could have me working 6 days, or portions, but for me it's feast or famine and most of the year it's been famine, so I'm grateful for whatever comes.
    I am writing prose. I finished the Mary book and am submitting it to contests, but the poetry just didn't finish the subject of growing up with a black maid, so I'm trying different angles and just writing anything write now. Otherwise, new Mrs. Noah's keep coming. I can send you the manuscript, Both Wings Flappin', Still Not Flyin' and send you the messy out of control The Little Mrs. in process when I get back. Throw me your address and I'll get the first one to you. Did I tell you the latest two titles? Mrs. Noah - The Monkey Doodle-do, and Mrs. Noah Chats with Simba. Hope I'm not repeating myself. The second is another sestina; I have a ton of Mrs. Noah sestinas - very weird, but I'd love to have you see them and I'd love to finish the book and start sending it. I've had a couple published. I'm sure we will be seeing more of her in volume 2, not to worry.
    I just feel so much love for you, Foxy. I'm the one staying up deep into the night watching over you, my dear sweet friend. Glad to hear Ann will get some driving respite. Give her my love.
    Thanks for the daily updates; makes me feel closer.
    love,
    janie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so grateful for your posts and for this internet that makes the world smaller and brings me closer to you. I imagine you right now with Boost in your belly, flying along the highway unimpeded to your date with Little Bang.

    Jim, the Head Banger, showed his very good taste in lyric writers when he asked about Annie Gallup's work. I love the songs on Backbone. I haven't heard Annie live in a very long time, but I always connect her work with my memories of you and your time at the radio station.

    It's so good to read your words and to know that, despite the challenges, you just keep moving on.

    ReplyDelete