Friday, May 7, 2010

May 7, 2010 – Radiation 18 [17 to go] – Over halfway, Particle (ap)parent

Adam & Blaze dog arrived around midnight last night.  Ann picked them up at Logan Airport while Rudy Dog, Lacey Dog and I slept.  It’s good to see Adam.  We talk often but nothing is like flesh to flesh.  Blaze has grown since we last saw her, not only physically, but also from a rambunctious puppy to a mature dog.

Got up this morning after a deep night’s sleep.  Decided to go with the two can plan for breakfast.  Yesterday afternoon as a test, I downed two cans of formula without a problem other than a little bloating.  (It is a weird feeling when I pour water in the tube and have the feeling in my stomach of drinking water but my mouth is bone dry.)  After the first can this morning, I decided that a second might not be a good idea given that I was about to go on a ninety-minute car ride.  Instead, I grabbed a Boost for the road.

My sister Renee picked me up at 8:45 am.  She came in and said hello to Adam, Blaze, and Ann.  Then we were off to Dana Farber.  Traffic was steady until we hit The Allston/Cambridge exit, which was backed up beyond the tollbooths.  Renee was a student and teacher in Boston and knows that corner of the city well.  She drove us around the Cambridge gridlock towards Allston and double backed along side streets to Dana Farber.  We arrived in plenty of time.

First stop was radiation oncology.  I saw one of the nurses and asked her to look at a rash on my upper back.  After donning my johnny, she examined me.  I didn’t realize that some of the radiation is shot through the back of my neck and upper back.  I need to treat that area with Eucerin Aquaphor as well as the front of my neck.  When it was time for me to go in, Renee was offered a quick tour of the radiation treatment room.  Today’s treatment went smoothly.  Music was in Renee’s honor, Particle from a live soundboard recorded at The Paradise Rock Club on 11/15/2003.  Track was “Lost Child>Ed & Molly”.  My nephew/Renee’s son Eric is the bass player for the band.

From radiation, we went to the Zakim Center for my first acupuncture appointment.  The research coordinators gave me a survey to fill out.  One of the questions was “Do you feel ill?”  My gut answer was no.  I may feel fatigued with a sore mouth, tongue, and throat, but I don’t feel ill. 

I was brought back into an examining room and introduced to the acupuncturist.  He’s Chinese and trained in his native country.  We went over my cancer treatments and their effect on my pain level and swallowing.  I got comfortable on the table and was blindfolded; to be sure I didn’t get a hint as to which group (sham or real) I’m in.  The session was gentle and relaxing.  I couldn’t feel the insertion of the needles.  With Chinese music dancing in the background, I drifted on the table for a half hour.  The acupuncturist returned and removed the needles, again without pain.  My next session will be in about a week.  First impression is very positive.

Renee and I next went over to The Longwood Grille for lunch.  My Longwood meal is becoming like Garp’s name.  The Tuna Salad Grilled is now down to a couple scoops of tuna salad and French fries!  The fries will be next to go.  Renee had one of the Longwood’s featured salads.

My last appointment was at Brigham & Women’s Hospital Day Surgery, the follow up from last week’s surgery.  The nurse practitioner examined the tube placement, turned it 360 degrees, and cleaned the site.  She pronounced me ready and able for non-contact sports, i.e. I can ride my LifeCycle again.

Renee and I walked from Brigham & Women’s to Dana Farber.  It was a beautiful day, warm and lots of sunshine.  We made our way to the car, and began the drive to Worcester.  Our day together was a lot of fun.  With time for uninterrupted conversation, we laughed a lot, pulled out vintage memories, and got caught up on the details of our children’s’ lives.  It’s a real gift to share the day just with my sister.  I feel very grateful for today.

When we arrived back at the house, we all visited a bit and then I went in for a long nap.  I had good reason to be tired; it was a busy day.  But I think the radiation is catching up with me and I’ll need to be conscious of my rest and sleep time.

Dan arrived after supper.  The four of us are together for the weekend!  Ann’s Dad & Mary are visiting us tomorrow and Sunday; we’ll head over to my parents’ condo.

Thanks everyone for cards and emails of support.  As I enter the stretch run of radiation, your love, comfort, and support are an anchor for me.  This is tough part of the treatments, but the end is in sight!  I’m over halfway through radiation; raise a toast!

Love…

Richard

1 comment:

  1. Ah, Particle. I knew they’d be in the rotation and I wondered when. Eric is an amazing bass player. I noticed that they’re on the summer schedule for an outdoor show in Des Moines. I hate to miss that. I need to check and see when they’re playing Columbus.

    I’m so happy that Adam and Dan are both home this weekend. The boys are back in town. Yeah!

    I hope you have a wonderful, restful weekend. Over halfway through: This is just so great. The days and the weeks roll by, and you and Little Bang accomplish miracles. Life is good! The streets are ours!

    ReplyDelete