Friday, February 19, 2010

February 8, 2010 – Super Bowl hung-under!

I watched most of the first half of the Super Bowl with Dan & Ann, dozed in bed for the second half but caught (luckily) the big plays.  Woke up just in time to see Peyton release the ball on the big interception.  Through my cottonball vision, it seems that the celebration for this game is special.  We have the humane thread between New Orleans, Katrina, and The Saints.  But The Colts, the second place finishers (won’t say losers) are exhibiting a lot of class.  It must have been such a trial for Peyton to present Drew with the SB MVP trophy, but he did it with commendable poise and sentiment.

I felt a little “bad” (yeah, ridiculous) drifting in and out of the game (sitting up, lying down, etc.) – like I was the lump on the log, the whisper in the room.  In dealing with this disease, it's Dan and Adam and Ann who most concern me.  It's harder on them in many ways. I remember the feeling of powerlessness during Dad’s recent illnesses.  Gives me motivation to emulate Dad’s courage and grace, to move forward head high.

This morning, I’m being cautious about my food intake.  I should be nearing the end of chemo based nausea.  Part of the issue is that food tastes weird.  Coffee – my sweet vice – tastes off.  Trying to stay off the anti-hiccup med as long as possible.  The med is a knockout drop.  Before lunch, I’m going to ride my LifeCycle – Ann is right, I gotta keep pedaling to keep my conditioning level steady; will help the recovery.

Speaking of bikes, Ann & I & Rudy Dog should be down on Sanibel Island this week, February vacation.  Instead of zipping my Catrike Trail over the bike paths, I dream of pedaling the island sooner, deeply breathing in the natural musk, watching the birds, bunnies, and creatures.  When I lie down, I can close my eyes and find myself lying in the sun near the Gulf, relaxed and refreshed.


Successful 18 minute ride (let’s see if I can ramp that up over the next two weeks!) on the LifeCycle followed by a delicious shower.  Haven’t taken the anti-hiccup med today.  Lunch of hummus, bread, and lots of chocolate soy milk.  Feeling almost human.  Tired but clear.  The sun pours into our living room and even though we’re not on Sanibel, we can enjoy the sun’s warmth and optimism.

We have “Modern Family” on DVR from last week.  The show clicks with Ann & I (interesting…) so we’ll watch the show and laugh.

Love…

Richard

No comments:

Post a Comment