Friday, February 19, 2010

Alien update (II)


January 26, 2010


I'm manic today.  Well, maybe beyond manic.  I remember when I was a DJ doing the 6:00-9:00 am (getting up at 4:20 or half after dark as BeJae coined it) drivetime show and having days when I had very little sleep.  I used to think that I was quiet and subdued on the air those tired mornings.  Then, I'd listen to the show tapes and find - damn, I was chatty!  Jumped on a tangent and rode it off into the sunrise.  Spin a song then spin a long(er) yarn.  Today is like that.  If I taped my conversations today, I'd probably hear them and think I was bouncing off the walls.  Which I am.  Without bruises.

Years ago, there was a comedy special on HBO and the comedian did a bit where he was calling his mama to tell her he didn't have AIDS (instead syphilis.)  He said "I'm gonna go blind.  I'm gonna go crazy.  Hallelujah!  Praise the Lord!"  That's kind of a mental picture for me today.  [So, YES, Eve - good news!]

I've always felt that God, my Higher Power always puts challenges in front of me when I'm ready for them, whether or not I think I'm ready.  In this case, I met first with a surgeon whose plan was 9-14 hours of risky throat and neck surgery, 8 weeks of recovery, then radiation/chemo. His long term prognosis was veiled in murky, not reassuring comments. I readied myself for those challenges, worked on keeping myself positive about the future.

So as the Dana Farber team was presenting their treatment plan and prognosis, gently saying we know this is a lot to absorb and it can be shocking, trying to soothe, I wanted to stand up and yell "Hallelujah!  Praise the Lord!"  I told 'em bring it on!  I'm good to go!

Manic...  chatty...  The reason for this note is to thank everyone for your emails.  I appreciate them more than words could ever express.

Now I'll be quiet and all y'all can say "Hallelujah!  Praise the Lord!" - I reached the bottom of this email!

Love...

Richard
foxy

No comments:

Post a Comment