Friday, February 19, 2010

February 18, 2010 – Good time for insomnia

First, one more haiku, from BeJae who taught me lyrics are verses that hang out in a bad neighborhood:

Fox to alien:
Though grateful for your teachings
I will not miss you


Overall, I feel good.  I went into work and completed the financial statement for January.  My brain seems to be kicking me on all cylinders.  The current challenge is insomnia.  Generally, I sleep from 9:15 pm to 5:15 am – like clockwork.  For whatever reason – oh say all the drugs including the chemo that I’ve ingested this month and suddenly (happily) stopped – I’m tired at night but don’t fall asleep easily.  My conventional approaches to inducing sleep are not effective.

The conclusion I reach is that my body is not in a conventional state and I cannot expect conventional techniques to work.  I have an uneasy truce with my stomach (until chemo starts next Thursday); likewise my brain and sleep rhythms and I have to get on the same page.  I have a relaxation audio to try tonight.  If I can’t sleep tonight, I’ll probably get up and read the memoir I’m crawling through.  It is interesting but dry.  Three chapters when exhausted leads to sleep.  I’m hoping to find a better way.

Adam arrived last night around 11:30 pm.  Originally, I thought I would be in deep sleep by then, but it was good time for insomnia.  Both wide awake, we sat down and talked.  Adam looks wonderful and happy.  I’m really looking forward to this weekend with all four of us being together.  Dan will drive in after work tomorrow.

My brother Alan brought lunch in for Ann, Ad, & I.  It was wonderful to sit, talk, and relax.  Lunchtime made the day special.  Family and friends reaching out eases the process of the treatments.  (Thanks again, Alan!)

For those of you wondering, Lacey now has her tinkle trousers and they are excellent!  (http://tinkletrousers.com)  They are the perfect solution for a sweet old dog with dementia (can be used on cats too, but good luck with the claws & teeth!)

Love…

Richard

No comments:

Post a Comment