Friday, February 19, 2010

February 11, 2010 – Dr. Deb and the Dana Docs

Last night, I received a phone call from Dr. Deb, our PCP.  Deb’s first concern was how I was doing emotionally and how I am dealing with chemo and its side effects.  We spent most of the call talking about me the person and then moved onto medical matters.  We love Deb; she treats the whole person, and in our case, the whole family.  I appreciated the phone call, its tone and purpose, the caring expressed, and knowing that Deb is there for Ann & I.  People have diverse reasons for choosing a profession.  Deb is a highly skilled doctor for all the right reasons.

Last night after a couple of hours sleep, for whatever reasons, I had my worst nausea.  Deciding that sitting up would be most prudent; I went into the living room and played with my computer.  I caught the night owls on line.  I made Marshall laugh.    In retrospect, that may have been the beginning of the low point for this chemo cycle.  My energy level today is not great, but I’m hoping that tomorrow I’ll start ramping up to “regular” activity.

Today, Ann drove me into Dana Farber for my mid-cycle checkup.  I’ve lost a little weight (which they think will come back next week), but my vitals are strong.  Saw Dr. A first and we went over my week and adjustments to living with chemo.  Dr. H arrived and began to examine my lymph nodes.  A smile crept on his face as he said that he could barely feel them!  Ok, major boost!  The chemo has started doing its job.  We still have to finish this chemo cycle, then two more chemo cycles, followed by the seven weeks of radiation treatment.  Still a long road ahead and no guarantees, but I can draw on today as we move forward.

As we move forward. Thanks everyone who is on this ride with me.  The cards (Amy, your script is so beautiful I almost don’t want to open the envelopes!), calls, and little surprises keep me feeling up and my thinking in the right hemisphere.  I love and cherish all y’all.

Love…

Richard

No comments:

Post a Comment