Friday, February 19, 2010

February 19, 2010 – Feeling back in the saddle

Managed a decent night’s sleep and that feels good.  Went to see Psychologist Doug yesterday and we talked about my insomnia.  He gave me a relaxation recording, a technique we’ve used in the past, and it worked well even as my brain fought it.

Woke up hungry and have been eating ever since, lots of mini-meals!  My stomach renewed our truce, which is very cool.  I am learning to understand my stomach’s new language, as it will not learn mine.  Fair enough.

Between lunches #2 and #3, I rode the LifeCycle for 24 minutes at my pre-cancer intensity level.  I felt good, back in the saddle, loose and easy.  Considered (briefly) continuing to my pre-cancer daily time of 36 minutes but deferred for two reasons.  One, I may regret it later and I have a sordid history of pushing my PT into extreme.  Two, when I told Ann I rode 36 minutes, I would regret it immediately (both the riding & the telling, but the telling is honest.)  I rely on her for many things, one of which is being the governor on my exercise engine, another for being smarter and possessing common sense.

With a 24 minute ride, I had adequate time to shave my head.  My ideal LifeCycle ride includes:  ESPN or NESN on the TV on mute, my iPod playing a mix of new and favorite tracks in random mode, and my razor in my hand shaving head and face (who needs a mirror?)  Last week, I stopped shaving my head; when the chemo was in its active phase, the skin on the top of my head thinned out and became too sensitive (my face was fine.)  Today’s shave felt wonderful.  The week’s growth slid off smoothly.  Hey, one thing about chemo, I get a great head shave!  Feels smooth as a baby’s bottom with minimal effort!  Hooray!

I’m hopeful that the longer workout will trump my insomnia.  Pre-cancer treatment, my day began with the LifeCycle at 5:30 am, followed by breakfast, and work.  By 9:00 pm, my body was ready to sleep.  So, between today and Thursday (next chemo infusion), maybe I can get that slice of life regular.  It will make me stronger for the coming treatment, stronger and happier – maybe even my stomach!

Love…

Richard

No comments:

Post a Comment