Monday, February 22, 2010

February 22, 2010 – Driving on empty

Had another fine night’s sleep, especially fine because today was a busy day.  A bit after noon, Adam & I left for Boston.  Ad’s flight back to Denver left from Logan at 2:45 pm and I had a hearing test at Brigham & Women’s Hospital at 2:30 pm.  Ad and I had time for insightful conversation and music as we navigated The Mass Pike (I-90 for you foreigners.)  It’s always hard to say goodbye, so we said “see you in March” instead.

I made the drive from Logan to Brigham & Women’s with plenty of time to spare.  My audiologist is seven months pregnant and very happy (expecting a girl, has a 2.5 year old boy – 3 years is a great gap, we agreed.)  The purpose of today’s hearing test was to determine whether one of the chemo agents – Cisplantin – has caused any hearing loss.  Over the past ??? years, I’ve lost some of my high frequencies (remember those concerts in college after which our ears would ring for days?  I can’t forget them now.)  After two years of Ann’s suggestions (takes me a while to hear sometimes), I tried hearing aids (so I “carry” two more computers daily.)  Ann (as usual) was right.  I was stubborn.  My loss.

Note aside to non-believers: hearing aids work and are worth every penny and every minute adapting to them.  Not only can I hear conversations in a crowded room clearly, hear high frequency beeps such as electronic alarms, I can hear music again.  I never realized what I was missing.  One of the first CD’s I spun with the hearing aids was Miles Davis’ In A Silent Way.  Tony Williams’ drumming was a revelation. Instead of settling (unknown) for the muddy thumps, a full range of tone and pitch assaulted my senses.  I could hear the intricacies of the top hat and cymbals.  Return of the treble! Then Miles kicked in and took my breath away.  Again.

Back to today.  I was concerned during the hearing test.  The drive into Boston had tired me more than I expected (which was not at all.)  I had trouble focusing and concentrating (not to mention staying awake.)  But the audiologist came back smiling and told me my hearing was unchanged.  Good news.  I mentioned the lack of focus, and she joshed “Gee, I can’t imagine why.”  Yeah, Cisplantin and its friends Taxotere and 5FU affect more than just hearing.

As I got ready to drive home, I realized how beat I was.  Brigham & Women’s has an Au Bon Pain in its lobby, so I stopped for a “snack” – some might say a meal.  I felt a bit better.  It was still a long ride home and I was so glad to pull into our driveway.

Originally, my second chemo cycle was to start tomorrow, but Dana Farber gave me a two-day vacation by switching my start day for the next two cycles to Thursday.  I’m good to go.  Will spend the next two days eating and getting stronger.  Thursday is Bring It On day.

Rozzy – thanks for the wonderful surprise.  Forgot to tell you: Dana Farber has an amazing collection of Red Sox memorabilia spread throughout the facility.  Near the 11th Floor phlebotomy room is a photo of Ted Williams taking his first at bat in Massachusetts as a professional ballplayer.  It shows him swinging against the backdrop of Fitton Field and Holy Cross College, a mere five-minute walk from my office!  It was an exhibition game against the Holy Cross nine.  Serendipity.

Love…

Richard

1 comment:

  1. You go... Your attitude is awesome... I call my hearing aided my "bionic ears".... LOL... I took those two same drugs... I luckyly got my hearing aides through a program here in my county...

    ReplyDelete