Friday, February 19, 2010

February 10, 2010 – Magic in the mouthwash

Today marks one week and one day since I began chemo.  I’m told that this will be my low energy week.  Had intended to ride the LifeCycle for 24 minutes, but my body said “no, 12 minutes.”  I always have this debate between body and exercise, debate as in the former has no vote.  I listen to my body today.

I’m on a second antibiotic because my port got a little puffy.  So now my stomach is the staging ground between diverse packs of chemicals.  I can tell the winner.  Or rather, it tells me.  I listen to my body.

Yesterday, I started using “Magic Mouthwash.”  It’s a pretty pink color.  I taste Maalox, a hint of lidocaine, and some other subtle delicacies.  That is, I taste until I swish and swish and swish.  Then my mouth is a heavenly numb, not frozen, rather there and quite usable (though my speech is a bit off if it wasn’t off already before any of this started.) I use MM a half hour before meals.  It’s not taste; it’s comfort at this point.  I need that protein and those calories.

We have a dusting of snow falling today.  Pretty view when I don’t have to drive in it.

Ann started Steig Larsson’s Millennium trilogy today (Girl With The Dragon Tattoo book one.)  I’m betting that she’ll read all three books by Sunday.  It’s the first series of books I couldn’t put down to exercise – read while on the bike!  Such a concept!

Ann saw our friend & dentist Jeff today.  Jeff sent me some magic toothpaste and advice to “spit, spit, spit, and then spit some more.”  I think I can handle that.  Note to self: use Magic Mouthwash after magic toothpaste.  Spitting with a numb mouth is, well, an adventure!
Val, thanks for the wonderful surprise!

Love…

Richard

No comments:

Post a Comment