Friday, February 26, 2010

February 26, 2010 – Return of the hiccups

Last evening before I got unhooked from the IV lines but had my 5FU pump attached, I had my first hiccip.  So, immediately, it was Bacliphen to the rescue.  One pill did the trick (which is good because two makes me punchy and three a zombie) and Dan & I went and had a dinner of pasta & vegetables over penne with a spicy pomodoro sauce preceded by a fresh crispy salad coated with balsamic vinaigrette.  I’ll be back to all soft food soon, so mealtime is exciting time now!  Ann napped in the room while Dan & I ate though our leftovers made a good meal for her.  I think these appointments and treatments are harder on Ann than me.  The doctors talk to her in peer language, while I get the simplified version.  She knows the implications of tests – e.g. my blood work – mere numbers for me (black is good – red is the normally abnormal to abnormal) but hard data to her.  Often feels like I have the easy seat.  I understand.

With my Dad, I went to his appointments and hospital sessions to support him in his trials.  He, in turn, seemed more concerned about me, made the day a field trip, and laughed off all the probes going in here and out there.

Back to the hiccups.  We had a wonderful nights’ sleep.  Separate Queen beds, one for me and my 5FU pump, one for Ann.  The room was arranged such that the beds’ headboards backed on to perpendicular walls.  That helps with snoring, but also my pump’s discharge gurgle.

Again, with the hiccups.  After waking, stretching, and a good morning kiss, I went over to my dop kit, grabbed my toothbrush and hiccupped.  Put down the toothbrush, grabbed a Bacliphen, picked up the toothbrush and hiccupped my way through brushing.  Then through dressing and packing.  Ann & I headed down for breakfast; we asked for a quiet table away from other diners.  These industrial hiccups travel!  We ended up in the same booth set back from the corner that Dan & I ate at last night.  Kismet (well, maybe.)  Half way through breakfast, the hiccups went away!  Go Bacliphen, go quick response!  It is was timely because breakfast was salty (I need salt – chemo sucks it out of my body) and I was mega-thirsty (I need fluids – chemo needs flushing.)  Big breakfast in the tummies, we headed over to the infusion room.  I have a corner chair again (oh lucky me!) lots of sunlight.  I’m getting two liters this morning, a couple of hours’ “work.”  Then we’re off to Worcester where it is (not surprisingly) snowing.  I’ll pick this up later.


We’re back in Worcester.  Rudy Dog and Lacey Dog gave us a big greeting.  So did Tweety the canary, but he doesn’t run to the door.  He sings and warbles.

We drove through snow from Boston to Westborough and then, atypically it wasn’t snowing in Worcester!  What has the weather wrought?  No snow or just a dusting in Worcester.  Ok, I won’t argue.  For other than the skiers, this is good news.

What’s bad news is the hiccupping started again on the ride home.  I’m beginning to think that the Gatorade is exasperating the hiccup response.  Gonna email one of the docs and see if water and magnesium & potassium supplements will do the trick.  Hey, when I was in high school, they gave us Vitamin-C pills and Salt pills to keep us going.  Oh, and Metrucal for lunch to keep us thinning.

Ann & I plan to relax the rest of the day.  With the chemicals making their way through my body, I will likely nap (um, pass out) shortly.  Hiccups have (for now) faded away.  Feels real good!

Thanks everyone for you support and concern.

Love…

Richard

No comments:

Post a Comment