Friday, February 19, 2010

February 17, 2010 – Haiku Bridge Break

It was Haiku yesterday on the Webster70 listserve, so initiated by the big teddy bear, artful dancer (you want to be on his dance card), and SPAMku kahuna - Oyra.

Oyra sounds:

Alien subdued
Fox returns to cold storage
Webster College sighs

I resound:

Round one nears the bell
I regroup as alien reels
Whose will is stronger?

Oyra responds:

Enjoying his food
1 800 eat veggies
Fox is on the town

Sweet Paula, Prom Queen and Renaissance Woman, chimes:

Foxy outfoxes
Alien allayed and down
Cunning man eats, smiles.


Last night, I had an intense craving for Blue Jeans Pizza’s ziti marinara with a nice vegetable salad, balsamic vinaigrette.  We called and ordered in two.  I ate half my usual portion, which means a regular human portion.  (To be fair, while waiting for delivery, I gulped down a soy yogurt and a Boost.)  I can’t remember pasta tasting this divine.  My stomach still confounded me.  I think it was happy – for sure full.  Maybe I should try alphabet soup.

My sleep cycle, post medications and chemo roller coaster, is still confused.  In my prior life, I went to sleep at 9:15 pm and got up at 5:15 am.  Last night, as the night before, I tossed and turned a bit, tried a relaxation technique, and though tired, would not sleep.  I’m reading a dry memoir, so I tried a couple of chapters.  At 11:15, my body finally said, ok, we’ll sleep now.  I did have a power nap after working yesterday, so today – no nap!

Today I was stronger at work, my focus sharper.  I finished all the procedural work on the financial statement and everything looks like it ties.  Tomorrow, I’ll put the formal reports together, but my confidence level in the numbers is high.

Chemo is an amazing process.  The immediate side effects crept up on me and then hit.  Last Thursday, during the working side effects, I wondered if and when I’d be able to get back into the world.  Today, I feel somewhat normal.  My energy level is down, my brain is operating at reduced capacity, but I feel good.  Even my stomach seems to be regaining its lingual acuity (shh, don’t tell the tummy!) I will ride the bike in an hour or so.  Keep moving forward.

Ann & I are planning a three-day getaway during the recovery week of my next chemo treatment.  We’ll head to Chatham on Cape Cod; ocean views, hopefully warm enough for beach walking.  Ann lost her vacation to my treatments, so she’ll get a little beach time this way.

Got get-well artwork from Brady and Dilan! Woo-yeah!  Thanks, guys!



Thanks Don, for encouraging me to write this.  It is good to write daily, no excuses!

Adam arrives tonight!

Love…

Richard

No comments:

Post a Comment