Thursday, February 25, 2010

February 25, 2010 – Dana Farber Kind Of Day

Good nights sleep last night.  Woke up around 6:00 am, wide-awake, and headed to the LifeCycle.  Rode a strong 24 minutes – felt real good!  Took a shower and chowed down breakfast and my preparatory meds and daily meds.  Finished packing up my suitcase, loaded the car, and Ann & I got rolling to Boston.  Had an easy ride in, just the usual delays around Newton and the I-95 interchange. 

Got my blood work at 10:30 am and saw my doctors around 11:30 pm.  My blood work numbers are all good.  We discussed tweaking some of the side effect meds.  I asked about the pain in my legs and back.  They told me that the timing of the pain indicated that the source is likely my bone marrow firing up in overdrive to replace the white blood cells.  A Percodet shuts down the pain, so we’ll go with that.


Oh, the big news - the cause of the cancer is confirmed to be the HPV virus.  The pathology confirmed what the doctors thought.  HPV based cancer is slow and does not travel. Very excellent news!

We had lunch at the Dana Farber cafeteria, which has a diverse selection of excellent food.  Ann had a chicken breast sandwich and I raided the salad bar: all kinds of beans, dried cranberries, and fresh cut vegetables.  After I built my salad, I noticed all the other lunch choices and thought, “Gee, next time I’ll look around first!”

Currently, I’m in the infusion room.  I’m hooked up to two different liters of fluid and one bag of the first flavor of chemo, Taxotere.  Drip, drip, drip.  Pee, pee, pee.  Well, the chair is incredibly comfortable and they gave me a hot blanket (my favorite part!)  Ann is getting refills and a couple of new ‘scripts at the Dana Farber pharmacy – then she’s going to check us in at the campus’ Best Western Hotel.  Dan took the afternoon off from work and is here to watch the drip, drip, drip.  Well, really to keep us company, which is greatly appreciated.  I gave him my iPhone to take a couple of photos so you can all be part of the experience.  Don’t let the photos fool you (I’m at my least photogenic!), I feel really good.  The chemo will start to hit me tomorrow, but right now I feel on top of my game!



Hey, Rozzy – how’s the cap look?  I fit right it here at Dana Farber.  You gotta take the walk by the cafeteria – they have an autographed baseball and jersey (including Ted and Yaz) collection beyond peer.



Time to sit and wait and sit.  Cisplantin with all its side effects is next, then they’ll hook me up to the 5FU pump, give me another liter of fluids and my favorite, the diuretic.

Love…

Richard

4 comments:

  1. looks like you have a port.. I didn't have that so that is good.. make sure to ask the dr for some stuff for plumbing issues.. If my post bother you let me know and I will let up.... Autographed hat.... I love the red sox ~ Hang in there Richard.. your attitude is amazing !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Laura. Yes, I have a port (thankfully, I have lousy veins). I'll go home with a 5FU pump (five day cycle) and Ann is qualified to unhook me, so we plenty of supplies. Dana Farber is Red Sox Nation. I love the Ted & Yaz jerseys! Thanks for writing and for the support.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, you’re far too modest. I think you look quite handsome and distinguished when you’re being infused … and it’s hard to make a heated bankie look distinguished. You’re always taking on the hard jobs.

    Absolutely great HPV news! If you gotta have cancer, the slow, stay-in-one-place kind is the kind to have.

    These updates are wonderful. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love my warm blanky. It makes the day special. The Red Sox cap is a gift from Rozzy who wears the BoSox on his sleeve while living in NJ. Rozzy can handle it. You'd like her, even more (off blog...)

    ReplyDelete