Friday, February 19, 2010

February 13, 2010 – Crock or crack?

It’s like I’m a crockpot or something (hopefully, not the third one you got as a wedding/shower/housewarming gift and store next the spiders in the basement, though I’m a fan of spiders.)  They set me to the proper temperature, added a couple liters fluid, then a liter Taxotere, a liter of Cisplantin, and then a diuretic before hooking up a 5FU pump for long term seasoning.  Wait a day, add a couple more liters of fluid.  Take off the pump after five days and move on to advanced seasonings to taste – anti-nausea, anti-hiccup, pain pill and pain wash.  Now I simmer.  Occasionally, I jump up and down to mix.  Then the dogs will cannonball my gut just to be sure it’s all bubbling.  I’ve got a chemical stew to brew.

Humans process food in food out as a matter of survival turned pleasure (why else Vietnamese spring rolls, portabella mushrooms, pizza my way, etc.)?  It is a finally tuned miracle.  Just now, Dana Farber has repurposed this fine tuned system.  Another miracle.  I’ve always believed that science is based on the observation of natural  forces and then hopping on for the ride.  I’m crockpot runnin’ down the road.  I’m a crackpot runnin’ up that hill.

Lazy day.  Larry & Lora are bringing in dinner (Pho Dakao – this is Worcester.)  My white cell counts are still low, so we need to stay in and away from crowds. I’m about to take (another) power nap to be ready for the evening. I have wonderful friends.  But you know that!

Hey Jonny Loomer – thanks for the new tunes!  (Curious ? – hit MyStore) Picking my day up!  I now have a strong playlist for my nest chemo session.  Boogie with the bags and hoses.  The “new” Hendrix will out by then.  Who says there aren’t many reasons to look forward to chemo?

Love…

Richard

2 comments:

  1. It never occured to me, Richard, to share my writings when I went through what you are going through; but, I admire that you do. It was (and remains) my writing that helped(s) me to stay focused on the task at hand. (I even writing about a painting as it is forming). I completely understand the need to share this experience with your loved ones who now have intimate knowledge of what this time has been for you, coupled with a close-up look at what courage really is, and good attitude. It's always love that gets us through, that keeps us strong. Have you read Bruce Chatwin's "What am I Doing Here?' Love and Always Wishing You Well Again, Lorna Ritz

    ReplyDelete
  2. It didn't occur to me to write about this either and I call myself a poet. My mind was on the cancer and the treatment path. My friend Don White suggested I journal daily with a sense humor and humanity. Don thought it would be good for me and perhaps useful to others riding this roller coaster now and in the future. Don is a mensch. I listened to him. It's also been helpful as far as updating friends and family; far better than answering (or not) many emails. I will check out Chatwin's book.

    Thanks for your words and concern. They truly help.

    Love...

    Richard

    ReplyDelete