Friday, February 19, 2010

Alien update 01/29/2010

January 29, 2010


Yesterday was hectic but satisfying.  Went into Boston for a PET scan. Supposed to leave for home at 11:15 am or so.  But...  they worked in a meeting with the nurse who will supervise my care (Sheila is wonderful!) And a EKG.  And prep with a PA and an NP regarding my port insertion surgery at Brigham & Womens Hospital.  Then, a hearing test to confirm the chemo cocktail will not adversely affect my hearing.  Now that's just hearing.  They don't test my listening ability!

Slow day today.  A little work.  Doctor's appointment.  Lovely lunch with my older brother Alan.  Even less work.  Home before curfew (set by Ann, someone has to set it and I'm no good at it!)

Today I saw Deb, our primary care doctor in Worcester.  We love Deb; she is an excellent clinician and a caring, wonderful woman.  I think the appointment was as much for her as for me - again, why we're so fond of her.  We went over all the treatment protocol, appointments & doctor-ial perspectives in Boston, and then Deb wanted to look down my throat to see what she could see.  Which was nothing.  She told me she'd been having nightmares (literally) that she missed the tumor when I first went to her with the sore throat that wouldn't go away.  She probed gently with a tongue depressor while I pointed and made unintelligible garbles trying to show her where to look.  She kept pulling the tongue depressor out of my mouth, apologizing, afraid she was causing me discomfort.  I told her not to worry.  After the last two weeks of throat exams, she could cram a 2x4 down there and I'd hardly notice!  So, Deb probed as deeply as her tools allowed and still could not see the alien.  I felt grateful for her.

Here's the schedule as of now (subject to change): Monday, 6am/7:15am the port goes in.  Tuesday, 9:45am-6:00 pm, I get hydrated and start chemo (three flavors at once: Taxotere, Cisplantin, 5FU) and get hydrated again.  Wednesday, I get hydrated at 8am.  Saturday, time TBD they pull the five-day 5FU belly pack off.  Anti nausea drugs and antibiotics will be in the mix.

Had an easy fluid workout on my bike this morning - felt strong.  Breakfast and the ration of two cups of coffee.  I feel good.  Dr. Deb says I look good. I'm raring to go.

Let's see how I talk my game after the chemo and steroids play with my head.  Oh, yeah - stopped at the library for piles of books.  Chemo means sitting around.  Good thing I love music and books.  Else, it'd be old magazines and daytime TV.  Now that's really scary!

Love...

Richard

No comments:

Post a Comment