Friday, March 5, 2010

March 5, 2010 – Riding the chemo coaster

If this chemo cycle matches the last, today and tomorrow will be the nadir days.  My mouth doesn’t feel as beat up this time, but I’m also using the meds more prudently.  Eating has become a challenge, but I have a wider variety of soft foods from which to choose.  I am taking Percocet preventively, which works well for pain management, but also makes me sleepy.  My plan is not to sleep the day away.  Between lunches #1 and #2, I will try to get hooked up in my current book, What Am I Doing Here by Bruce Chatwin.  The book is a diverse collection of off beat memoirs and essays.  It’s perfect, given my current short attention span and brain in a cottonball, that each missive stands alone.  Ann is going to stop by our local library today and pick up a couple of books I have on reserve.  I’m enjoying Chatwin, but am looking to getting my teeth into a good novel.

Today, it’s just Tweety the canary and me at home.  Rudy & Lacey Dogs are getting their new Spring ‘dos.  It snowed heavily on the day of their last appointment, so they are overdue for a bath and a cut.  They left the house as big puffs.  They’ll return with slick stylish  cuts.  I’ll try to get a photo or two.  Tweety is good company.  We have scintillating conversations such as “Good Morning!” “Tweet! (Repeat a half dozen times.)  Then I walk away and he sets off on a long, complex warble.  Tweety has a fluid sense of composition mixing harmonies (yes, dual voices), a bit of syncopation, and avian sensibilities.




Overall, I am having much less discomfort and pain on this cycle as compared to the first.  The body is truly amazing and adaptive.  The interior of my mouth is showing the collateral damage from the chemo – could be that’s the same as before or maybe just not new and as noteworthy.


Finished Chatwin and will return to the world of fiction with Jess Walter’s Citizen Vince

It’s a beautiful afternoon, sunny with temperatures in the high forties.   Ann is back from her appointments; the doggies are still getting groomed.  The sun bathing through the window, glistening off the wood floor makes the living room shine.  It is very peaceful in the house just now.


Doggies are home and in constant motion.  It’s a lot of still life being groomed.  Lacey is busy knocking every pillow off every couch and chair.  Rudy is flipping his ball and chasing it.   So getting them calm for a photo is not going to happen.  I did take this quick snap of them on the deck.



It’s been a great day given where I think I am in the chemo cycle.  Tomorrow in theory should be the low point.  I’m ready to keep moving forward.  Thanks everyone.

Love…

Richard

No comments:

Post a Comment