Tuesday, March 23, 2010

March 23, 2010 – Wiped out boy

Note to self: stay home and rest during the days after the 5FU pump is disconnected.

Second note to self: go appointments when scheduled (today, we had an injection followed by radiation prep on the board.)

The two notes have an essential contradiction.  The appointments trump rest.  That doesn’t mean my body isn’t without a trick or two.  I took my shower this morning and was lightheaded and tired.  We had breakfast, got into the car, and headed off in the heavy rain to Boston.  On the way, I felt very fatigued and even more lightheaded.  I put the passenger seat down flat and Ann helped me into patterned belly breathing.  I fell asleep as she navigated the morning traffic and wet weather. 

On the way to Boston, we got a series of phone calls from a concerned (and very nice) Dana Farber nurse informing us that my injection (to boost my white blood cell count) scheduled for 9:45 am had to be postponed until the afternoon.  The drug, without a special order written by a physician, cannot be administered within twenty-four hours of the 5FU pump being disconnected (2:00 yesterday.)  I explained that originally the injection was scheduled for yesterday.  She said the injection would not be released by the pharmacy without the special order and that she would keep calling to facilitate the order.

Despite the weather and my meltdown, we arrived at Dana Farber on time.  Ann parked the car while I raced up the 11th floor.  When I checked in, I was told that my injection was now scheduled for 1:00 pm.  I recounted my conversation with the nurse and they paged her.  She told me that she still didn’t have the order and the injection was still at the pharmacy.  She called for the order again, without success, while Ann joined me.  We decided to postpone the injection until the afternoon.

We walked from Dana Farber to the radiation prep suite at Brigham & Women’s Hospital.  The prep was fun – well, this is me talking!  I stripped to the waist and lay down on a table with a special head support.  The two techs explained in great detail what was going to happen.  Apparently, this process is worrisome for folks with claustrophobia.  In my case, I go into science fiction land.  So, as they carefully laid out each step, I rested and took in all the devices in the room.  I restrained myself from asking about each.  I figured they wanted to finish today.

The main goal of the prep is to construct my radiation mask.  They prepared my face (a facial like solution, warm and relaxing) and then pulled a large piece of tight plastic netting over my head, neck, shoulders, and upper chest.  The netting was hot but not too hot.  The techs carefully shaped the material to the contour of my face and upper body and snapped down each region of the mask until it was taut. After the mold was dry, they slid it off me and showed me the result.  These masks – post-radiation treatment – are popular for Halloween.

The last step was a trip for my new doppelganger and I to a special MRI machine.  We were assembled on the tube’s table and locked in place.  Time for a mini-space flight (again the tech was relieved that small spaces are not a problem for me – hey, I used to go spelunking!)  In and out, in and out, to Ben’s favorite click clack magnetic percussion and we were done.

We met briefly with Dr. T., my radiologist, and went over procedural details.  He sent us back to Dana Farber to meet with his nurse for radiation orientation.  We spent an hour going over treatment protocol, dental care, side effects (oh, this is going to be lovely!), and dealing with side effects.  We have pages of instructions.  The details will slip out onto this blog as I experience them.  During the orientation, I leaned against the wall and tried to stay alert, or even awake.  Ann took in the nurse’s dialogue.

We finished and took the elevator up thirteen floors to where my injection waited.  The same nurse (I felt bad for her – she felt bad for me – the morning’s delay was out of our control) brought me into the blood room and dashed the needle into my arm.  I thought the shot was to be administered in the “loose folds” of my stomach.  Stomach, shoulder, whatever; we were done.

We left Dana Farber and walked into rainless skies.  A very tired Ann drove home.  I fell asleep as soon as we hit Storrow Drive and didn’t wake up until we were home.  Ann had patients, so she went off to work.  I fell on the couch and Rudy Dog immediately assumed the napping position.  Good pup, he knew how I felt!  I slept deeply enough that Lacey Dog’s howls didn’t wake for doggie dinnertime.  Finally, I rolled off the couch, fed the dogs, and shook myself awake. 

I am very grateful that I have NO appointments tomorrow!  We have one on Thursday at Dana Farber.  Adam arrives tonight, so we’ll have another driver.

I’m feeling better now, less fatigued.  The naps certainly helped, but having all y’all on this ride with me helps me move forward, especially through the tough moments.  I cherish you!

Love…

Richard

6 comments:

  1. Wow.. I didn't give any thought that your mold would be on your facial area.. mine was my chest..(did you get fancy tattoos too)?

    Rest.. hang in there..

    Laura (not sure where you get Linda from)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, Laura. I'm like my Mom - I mix names up. When I was young, I used to tease her when she did. Now, she just stares at me when I make a name faux - much more effective!

    No tattoos - the marks go on the mask. My face and upper body will be immobile and not real visible during treatment.

    Sounds like a rough ride - the pace will be gradual and progressive. One day at a time, one hour even...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess we'll have to draw straws for the Halloween mask. I hope I win. I can't imagine a higher honor than to masquerade as you even just for a day.

    I'm so glad that the radiation room has the sci-fi lure for you. Sometimes we have to take our fun where we find it.

    Stay with this curious trip, my friend. Know that I'm riding with you over here in the O state.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Re: the mask. I have a big head (don't worry Ann reminds me!) and wear large hat sizes. So maybe we can have a party and take portraits. The key is, what kinds of food & beverages go with masking?

    I've always wanted to go into space, ride a rocket to orbit and beyond. The machines I'm surrounded by look like something from a sci-fi movie, only they're real and they get to play with me. Sign of geek = technology cheers me up and brings out the little boy wonder.

    Thanks for being on this ride with me. It means more than I can say. You brighten my day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was in a body cast from the wait to my neck back side only... I laid in it to line me up and stay still... I got the tattoos on my chest one in the middle, left and right... just blue ink dots... I did well with the radiation... It sucked my energy up and made me really tired but no burns... my throat suffered but liquid pain meds worked... and to date i just double the nexium and I am good....

    You are a trooper I sure you will fly through it...(like I did) .. I don't care what anyone says Attitude plays a huge part in the process...

    praying and thinking of you

    Laura...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Laura. I agree - attitude is huge. I will have red areas on my neck, but they have a special cream to minimize the effects. I won't worry about the radiation. The time will come and I'll deal with it day-by-day. I'll have a calendar where I can "X" off each treatment. Don't know why, but that sounds like fun!

    Thanks for your support, Laura. Much appreciated...

    ReplyDelete