Thursday, March 25, 2010

March 25, 2010 – Nap day, take two

I could almost write “ditto” for today.  Could but that wouldn’t tell the full story.  My body is demanding sleep and I am happy to oblige.

Slept really well last night and woke around 6:15 am.  Took pain meds and my before breakfast meds, checked email and favorite sites, and then downed a Vanilla Boost.  Hopped into the shower – man, does it feel good to be able to get wet without worrying about the pump or lines – and took a long steamy one.  Got dressed and noticed that the pain meds had kicked in, so I made breakfast and ate quickly.

While I was going through my morning routine, Ann and Adam were also getting ready for the day.  Rudy and Lacey Dog followed us around the house, identified our activities, and knew we were heading out.

At 8:00 am, we climbed in the car and set off for Dana Farber.  It was a sunny, crisp morning, an ideal day for a road trip.  Overall, it was a smooth ride into Boston – smooth for Boston that is.  We only hit two major backups, around the I-90 / I-495 and I-90 / I-95 interchanges.  We negotiated our way through the Cambridge/Allston exit to reach Storrow Drive.  From there, Dana Farber is just down the road.

Ann parked the car while Adam & I went up to the 11th floor for my blood work.  On the way up, I showed Ad a bit of Dana Farber’s vast Red Sox memorabilia.  Blood work was easy (oh port, I sing your praises!)  Ann joined us, and we walked over to the Thoracic Cancer suite for the vital signs check and my appointments with Dr. H. and Dr. H..  My vitals were spot on.  I was especially pleased to find that I gained a few pounds.

Drs. H. kicked my tires and checked my fluid levels.  They peered down my throat, probed my neck in search of my lymph nodes (they felt nothing once again- yay!), and interpreted my blood levels.  Then we discussed the post-intensive chemotherapy steps that pave the way for radiation and the likely pattern of companion treatments I’ll have during radiation.

We left the 11th floor and made a side stop at Lower Level 1 which houses the cafeteria and one of the major Red Sox memorabilia collections.  I showed Adam prime autographed Carl Yaztremski and Ted Williams game jerseys coated with Fenway dirt and a massive autographed baseball collection.

From there, it was on to patient parking and a sunny ride home to Worcester, which I naturally slept through (oh, but the sun on my face was a joy.)  How did I spend the afternoon?  On the couch curled up with Rudy Dog napping.  There was vacuuming going on inches from my head that didn’t stir me.

Around 4:00 pm, I woke and decided it was blog time.  To be honest, I fell asleep several times while trying to write, so I sought inspiration in music: Erin McKeown’s Small Deviant Things, vol.1 and The Benjy Davis Project’s Dust.

On this sunny evening, I thank you all for your love and support.  You make my days lighter.

Love…

Richard

1 comment:

  1. Limbo, one of our cats, and I fell asleep on the couch last night as a tribute to you and Rudy. I had the green throw blankie and Limbo covering me, and an old repeat of Seinfeld on TV as the temperature outside dropped and the rain turned to snow. I thought of you and hoped that your naps are that delicious.

    Some of the snow has lingered into today and the wind whistles through the alleys behind and beside our house. But, the sun is out. And it’s toasty inside. And I’m imagining you and Rudy all warm and comfy.

    I’m so glad the report from your appointment yesterday was so good. Keep that good news coming … between naps, of course.

    ReplyDelete