Saturday, March 20, 2010

March 20, 2010 – Busy day in Wormtown

Insomnia feeds on itself.  Last night, I had a delicious uninterrupted eight hours of sleep.  Could have slept longer, but I’d like my sleep cycle to be as normal as possible.  Got up around 8:00 am, had my first handful of pills followed by a Vanilla Boost for breakfast #1.  Checked my email and favorite sites while I waited for the meds to settle, then poured a bowl of Cheerios with Silk Vanilla Soy Milk for breakfast #2.  After the bowl, had my second handful of pills.  Back in the chemo saddle again!

I puttered around, feeling energetic and real fine.  It’s Dad’s birthday today and for some reason, I hadn’t been able to shop for a gift for him.  He’s tough to shop for, but I know he’s been having a problem with the wireless mouse on his iMac.  It’s just not smooth, even a bit of a pain for me at times and I get along well with devices.  So a new mouse was just the ticket, but one I’d have to try before buying.  Not only does it need to fit my hand, but be easy for an 87-year-old man to operate.  Ann offered to drive me to Best Buy and then CVS, but I felt up for driving – plus I had the feeling that this was going to be a slow shopping trip, a pace I enjoy but one that can drive other people bonkers.  Put a geek among aisles of devices; you know I gotta try all the cool ones and even some of the semi-cool ones.

Had a nice sunny drive over to The Greendale Mall, once a bustling place, now basically Best Buy and a bunch of hanger-on stores.  I played with a bunch of mice, but kept coming back to the new Apple Magic Mouse (and yes, Stuart – I was channeling you!)  The generic mice designed for PC and Mac platforms had too many potential pitfalls, i.e. too many buttons, wheels, and combinations that could get Dad in trouble.  The Magic Mouse is slick and after enough play, I decided that it would fit Dad’s hand and that enough of the esoteric geek-beloved features could be turned off to make it fool proof.

Headed over to CVS Pharmacy to pick up a prescription and some miscellaneous supplies.  I got the Rx first, paid for it separately and my CVS Card gave me a $5 off $25 purchase coupon.  So of course, I had to meet that $25 threshold; destiny isn’t it?  Well, it certainly is to a chemo-addled brain!  I muddled and puttered the aisles figuring out what stuff I’d need over the next month, threw in a magazine for Ann, and ended up spending over $35.  Those CVS people know what they are doing.  Fortunately, I did get stuff we need.  Between my compromised arithmetic and the attraction of all the shiny packages on the shelf, I spent quite a while at CVS, but it was fun!

Got home and began unpacking my shopping trip.  Dan arrived to visit Ann & I and to see Dad/Papa on his birthday.  We ate a quick lunch and called over to Dad’s.  When I talked to Mom/Mema last night, she there was absolutely no way that she was leaving the house today.  She generally plays cards on Saturday afternoon but the combination of a lingering back injury and a very busy Friday shopping with Renee convinced her to cancel the card game.   However, my family is a card playing family, especially The Greatest Generation.  Therefore, at noon Mom relented and took her seat at a friend’s table and kept the game at full tilt.  So, Ann & I & Dan & Rudy Dog visited Dad without Mom there.  We gave Dad a couple of cards and the wrapped Magic Mouse.  He opened the package (Apple’s new minimal environmental friendly packaging without labeling) and had no idea what he was holding.  Dad thanked us and we told him what his gift is.  Dan set the mouse up to its simplest configuration and showed Dad how it works.  It is much easier for Dad to manipulate, both the optical tracking and the single button that is the top of the mouse (no confusing scroll wheel.)  The top button can be programmed to do all kinds of slick geeky things dependent of where you press, how many fingers you use, and many dragging strategies.  But for Dad, this mouse can slow dance with terrific response.  Rudy Dog kept checking the house for Mom, but gave Dad a lot of attention.  He loves to visit them!

We returned home and Ann took Lacey Dog on a walk as consolation for being left at home alone.  Lacey is a sweet old dog but does not like car rides and also (see the prior TinkleTrousers.com discussion) has a bit of dementia that affects her once spotless housetraining, not a good combination for today’s birthday trip.  Ann and Lacey arrived home just in time for a visit from Larry & Lora, just back in town from a visit to Florida (including lovely Sanibel Island.)  We watched basketball and talked about their trip.  Rudy Dog was real excited.  Not only was Dan home, but his friend Larry was here!

After Larry & Lora headed home, I lay down on the couch with Rudy snuggled in the nap position, but I wasn’t tired.  So I rested and talked with Dan & Ann.  Last night’s sleep was carrying me through this day.  This is my third chemo cycle and we’ve learned from the first two cycles.  The 5FU pump continues to push its nasty self into my vein, so maybe I feel a bit cavalier.  I start to think, “hey, this cycle will be a comparative breeze.”  Let’s see what I’m saying (and feeling) in a few days!  Monday, the 5FU gets disconnected and the chemo cocktail begins to peak.  Today, that peak is far away.  I live in the day.  It’s a good day.  I’m having fun.

Around 6:00 pm, Jesse & Susan just back from a trip to (yes) Florida, stopped in with take-out from Pho Dakao, a local sumptuous Vietnamese restaurant.  Rudy was excited – now his friend Jesse was visiting!  The five humans sat down and gorged ourselves with Asian delights, and found room for dessert (one must have priorities!)  Then, we moved to the living room and continued the conversations until it was time for Jesse & Susan to meet up with daughter Julie.

My original plan was to take periodic rest breaks in the bedroom during today’s visits.  But I didn’t (and still don’t) feel tired, drained, or mega cottonball brained.  I believe I’ll sleep real well again tonight.  So again, I’m going to ride this day for all its worth – but with the understanding that I have to take care of myself and be smart.  So, to bed early despite all these exciting Men’s and Women’s Tournament game going on into the wee hours.

We’ll see what tomorrow brings, how I feel after this busy and fun day.  I may regret my level of activity.  Then again, I may be reading my body correctly.  Life is about learning.

Thanks all for your comfort and support.  Knowing that I’m not going through this alone raises my spirits immeasurably.

Love…

Richard

2 comments:

  1. Sounds as though you had a great, busy and productive day. And yes, the mouse -- which I actually think is now called the Magic Mouse -- is exactly the one to buy. Please wish your father a (belated) Happy Birthday for me. I'm glad that all seems to be going so well, Richard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Feeling good today. No errands to run, but maybe that's best. I have a tendency to overdo it. Passed on your birthday greetings to my Dad. He & Mom always love getting updates on your news, so I told them about some of Christian's latest adventures. Hey - and when I'm healthy, we definitely got to do Average Joe's or a house visit asap - ok?

    Thanks for the Magic v. Mighty correction. I guess I still must have a thing for that cartoon!

    Love to you, James, & Christian!

    ReplyDelete