Wednesday, March 17, 2010

March 17, 2010 – St. Patty’s Day in Boston

Ann and I are comfortably ensconced in the Longwood Best Western on the periphery of the Longwood Medical Campus, which comprises Dana Farber, Boston Children’s Hospital, and Brigham & Women’s Hospital.  Just for good measure, down the block and around the corner are Beth Israel Hospital and Joslin Diabetes Clinic.  In this neighborhood, scrubs are haute chic though today many people are wearing green.  When we got to the hotel’s check in desk, I thought for a moment that Irish attire was a requisite for the reservation!  The room is nice.  We’re on the eighth floor and cannot hear the street noise.  The room, as it did last time we stayed here, has two twin beds each with its headboard set against perpendicular walls.   The two beds are important because tomorrow I’ll be hooked up to the 5FU pump and it needs its own side of the bed.

The view is urban:


If you look to the left of the Longwood Food Court sign, you’ll see a side entrance to Dana Farber.  We are able to walk from the hotel lobby to any facility in the medical campus without going outside.  Today through Friday are supposed to be sunny and in the 60F’s, so we’ll likely elect the outdoor route.

Dan will meet us for supper tonight.  Dana Farber is reasonably close to his apartment.  It will be nice for the three of us to have a relaxed dinner out.

I’m feeling good overall.  Looks like I’ll be on the Imodium express for the near future.  These treatments are a match of chemical v. chemical with one of the playing fields my digestive track.  This afternoon, I look at tomorrow and the start of my third of three 21-day chemo cycles as a marker reached.  I still have the roller coaster ride of the cycle ahead, but I can mark progress.

It’s Springtime and I’ve been sneezing a lot.  I stopped Claritin when I began taking all the chemo drugs, but it may be time to start the allergy pill for the season.

We’re going to take it easy and ready ourselves for tomorrow.  Our first appointment is at 8:30 am and I’m scheduled to start infusion at 10:30 am.  Onward!

Thanks everyone for your support and love.  Arnold, it was wonderful to talk to you yesterday; you’ve been through the throat cancer treatments and can look back eleven years later at your path out of the box.  Thanks for sharing your experience and wisdom.  It really helps!

Love…

Richard 


p.s. Ellen The Prom Queen earns two points and a star for correctly translating the title of yesterday's post: "Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work we go!"  You rock, Ms. Epstein!

4 comments:

  1. To the good fast-growing cells: I know, I know, it’s not fair. You’re beautiful and wonderful and doing everything right, silky hair, velvety insides of cheeks, pleasure-giving taste buds, secretive digestive entities. It’s not fair that you good guys have to get knocked all whampy-jawed so that the bad fast-growing cells can get gotten. But, here’s the thing … It’s almost over. This is the last round. The next part of the treatment is area specific instead of type-of-cell specific, so it will be the good cells who just happen to be hanging out in the wrong neighborhood who will take the brunt of it. Try not to gloat when you’re feeling great and they are not. By then you’ll already be excitedly recovering your glory. You’re quick and smart and soon you will have forgotten that any of this ever happened. You’ll be busy growing unimpeded without the Alien sucking down all the good, delicious cell nutrition. It’s hard right now, I know it is. But, it’s almost over. This is the last round. And I’m pulling for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, BeJae - that is priceless. I read it to my cells. I think the Alien's cells were set back by the very cool and very bad-ass comment. The good cells are dancing and readying themselves for this next ride.

    You put a BIG smile on my face!

    Love from sunny Boston...

    Richard

    ReplyDelete
  3. Richard - Even in your daily journal you are poetic. I appreciate being able to keep up; makes me think of Donald Hall's writing. I feel with you, want you to know, that even though I found out only days ago, I am now here, sending love, and healing light. Taught sonnets at the jaul today and one of the guys caught an extra beat in mine; it was a great day. We corrected my line. I went to a jewelry store after class and the guy was checking my license: "It's cool; I just got out of jail, maximum security floor, actually. So I'm fine." After a beat, I explained. Loving you, loving Ann. janie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh thanks, Janie. Means a lot coming from you. You are on fire - your poetry is stronger and stretches the envelope further every year! I look forward to seeing the Mrs. Noah poems collected. So much of Janie weaves through your disparate characters. You go! Cool what happened in the jail class today. I always feel like you're the toughest one in that room.

    Last chemo cycle is pumping through my veins. Radiation starts around April 13th. Looking forward to giving you & Sondra big hugs in October!

    Love from Ann & I. Thanks for being here!

    ReplyDelete