Wednesday, March 3, 2010

March 3, 2010 – Riding the chemo chimp

Had an excellent night’s sleep and woke up somewhat energetic.  Had breakfast #1 and after being followed and cajoled by the dogs, breakfast #2 (those doggies are focused on their morning Cheerio and banana slice and are not shy about it! I don’t buy it when they say that they’re concerned that I’m not eating enough.)  I considered a LifeCycle ride but my body is still arguing against it and my job now is to listen carefully to my body.  Though I feel good, I’m tired; find the occasional half hour power nap effective.

The chemo’s primary effects are hitting my mouth.  I can still eat without pain, though food has little taste, or even worse, an unpleasant non-taste.  The mouth sores are on the rise plus the gum and cheek tissue are breaking down.  I gargle with salt water at least four times a day.  This past gargle woke me up!  The salt found grooves and decided to oppose being rinsed.  Nice burn!  Be time to start with Magic Mouthwash soon.  This is the week the chemo does its work and I wait patiently, the body being renovated.

I still have to shave my face, but less often, less area, and less growth (there has to be a bonus somewhere.)  The top of my head continually feels like I shaved that morning, you know 5:00 shadow or maybe brush in this case (bonus cashed in.)

Tomorrow, Ann & I go into Dana Farber for my mid chemo treatment checkup.  I’m curious as to whether they can determine any cumulative impact.

John & Wendy, thanks for the fine surprise in today’s mail    And thanks for the cards that came in the mail.  Today was a mail haul.

Love…

Richard

4 comments:

  1. So, when your taste buds are acting all funny like this, do you still want to eat or do you have to make yourself do it? Has this process changed how you think about food?

    Glad you're otherwise feeling pretty good with this second round.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My stomach tells me I want to eat so I eat. If it were up to my taste buds, I'd skip meals. The odd thing is that some of my favorite foods gross me out (even the thought of them.) I drop ~10 pounds during the primary chemo week, but put it back during the sweet week (the next one) when I am constantly craving food and my body is rebuilding.

    Vegan chocolate pudding works wonders!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll bet vegan chocolate pudding works wonders for a whole lot of things.

    ReplyDelete