Tuesday, March 2, 2010

March 2, 2010 – Chemo kick

Well, this chemo cycle has been pretty gentle until today.  The primary side effects, the stuff that means the chemo is doing its task, are kicking in.  My taste buds are shot.  My stomach is doing turns.  I’m tired and feeling yucky (poor baby!)  But I have to take this in context.  Chemo is no joyride and it has a big job to do.  The immediate side effects were a breeze this time, so I’m a little spoiled as the primaries kick in.  These not so fun days are part of getting well.

What I don’t want to do is lie on the couch and pretend to nap.  What I need to do is to keep busy.  When I’m busy, my mind is focused away from the side effects.  Today, I may go hour-to-hour.  I just have to get into the flow of this stage of the treatment and move forward. 

This afternoon, I have an appointment with a local oncologist.  Dr. Deb feels it’s important for me to have someone in town in addition to the doctors in Boston.  We always listen to Deb.


A little later:  Considered a LifeCycle ride, but my body said NO! so I settled for a 30 minute power nap.  Woke up feeling better and had a snack (otherwise known as a mini-meal.)  With the oncology appointment coming up, it was time for a shower.  Today’s shower provided more than the usual entertainment.  My favorite part is usually inventorying my hair loss, seeing where the new Chihuahua effect is in place.  (I’ll leave today’s inventory off the blog - ok? no! sorry.)  I started soaping up my legs and discovered that I have tube feet.  “What are tube feet?” you’re probably asking.  Well, before this week’s infusion, I changed to a heavier weight sock.  Apparently with all the hydration I received, the socks were tighter than my legs.  From my feet to the top of the sock is a depression in my legs, much more fluid above.  It’s pretty funny looking.  If I wasn’t naked and hadn’t been running tight on preparation time for the appointment, I might have taken photos of tube feet. 


Went to the oncology appointment and arranged to have back up services in town.  The doctor is very nice and knows the team who are treating me at Dana Farber.  This provides some peace of mind, a ten minute ride instead of an hour plus.

Ok, I just checked my legs again.  Still have tube feet!  I have no shame.  Here they are captured by the brilliance of my iPhone’s camera:




Enough for today.  I’m feeling much better now.  I needed to adjust to the chemo up-ramping and doing its work.  Thanks as always for your concern and support.

Love…

Richard

6 comments:

  1. Hmmm I don't remember the fluid thing...My feet were always stone cold when the neuropathy hit.. There are additional meds they can give you to take whenever outside of Emend for the ick...Don't be afraid to ask. I also use to go in on off weeks to be pumped up via IV of just fluids..(that was only when I felt complete ick and it worked)..That is awesome the local Dr. (sike) ..Richard, remember your blood levels are in a whirl wind so don't be afraid to flop on that couch, it is your body telling you need it..

    You are going to come through this with flying colors..

    On a note of boredom... I was on a lot of meds through my treatment and found it hard to focus on like a book but puzzles occupied my mind and I would sit for hours and my kids would join in... just thought to share..

    Night

    ReplyDelete
  2. My stomach is overall good - nausea is not a problem thankfully. Just the first day of the chemo primary effects hitting. This chemo cycle, I can read without a problem, for which I'm grateful. Thanks for the suggestions and concern.

    'Night...

    Richard

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tube feet! They're so cute. Everybody's gonna want em. Okay, I gotta go drink some water and buy a pair of tight socks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The recipe is 6-7 liters of IV fluid over 18 hours. You can press guitar chord shapes into the bulge that slowly fade away!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the idea of being able to observe guitar chords on my legs. It's probably the only way I could learn some of those jazz chord shapes. If the students at Burklee find out about this ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Berklee is on the other side of town. Dana Farber is short walking distance to Fenway Park. I dunno know what that means!

    ReplyDelete