Thursday, March 4, 2010

March 4, 2010 – Dana Farber Rumba

Ann & I went to Dana Farber Cancer Institute today for my mid-chemo cycle appointment.  Ann drove and I had the ever so important job of napping both ways.

We met first with the Hematology/Oncology Fellow and then with the team leader, an Oncologist.  We reviewed this treatment cycle, which is going easier than the first.  I found out that my fatigue is cumulative as the cycles progress.  I start each with less (but more than sufficient) strength than the one before.  I keep urging myself to get on the LifeCycle, while my body says I need rest.  I’ll continue to listen to my body.  Pre-cancer, I wouldn’t accept any excuse for missing a daily ride.  I think I finally have it into my head that this is different (silly boy!)

When the oncologist examined my lymph nodes, he raised a big smile.  Before treatment began, I had five nodes affected with one especially prominent.  Now, even knowing where they were, he can’t feel the nodes.  Good news!  The chemo is doing its thing!

I took my first Percocet of this cycle on the way home from Boston.  Last cycle, I waited too long and it affected my eating ability (pounding my fist into my thigh is not a recommended form of pain management.)  Came home and ate a sumptuous lunch of Whole Soy Peach-Mango soy yogurt, a Boca Burger on toast, a glass of Vanilla Silk, and a vegan chocolate pudding (I bet all your mouths are watering now!)  After lunch, Rudy Dog curled up next to me and we took a long nap.   Amazing how quickly his snuggles will send me into dreamland.

Side note: if you’ve never had Whole Soy products, find them!  An absolutely superior soy yogurt product.  They have frozen desserts, too, which I plan to check out asap.

So, today I feel strong, rested (you think?), and in a Bring It On attitude.  Next Wednesday, we meet with the radiologist to map out those treatments.  This whole process could feel long.  My plan is to take it one day at a time.  Days pile up and here I am halfway through the chemo.  Life is good!

Love…

Richard

1 comment: