Tuesday, March 16, 2010

March 16, 2010 – Hi Ho L’Avodah Yavoh!

An extra two points to anyone who figures out today’s title.  Yavneh alumni from the 1960’s are excluded.

Had a good night’s sleep, didn’t get up until after 9:00 am, though my body has had no reason to adjust to daylight savings time.  Breakfast went down well.  My taste buds are still askew but the Cheerios tasted all right today.

Went into work today for a few hours.  It felt good to be in the office, to see all the folks.  My brain definitely is not functioning at full tilt.  While working on General Ledger with Jim, we encountered a few problems (standard for the course) and I felt the cottonball effect.  I knew there was answer or a way to find the answer but I was still coping with the question.  Part of this is cumulative fatigue and the effect of all the medications; I hope the rest is just rust.  Last month, I did the financial statement and though it took more time and effort, I muddled through.  To keep this in perspective, I need to look at my reading level.  I’m back to reading novels, though much more slowly and carefully if I want to drink in the writing and nuance.  I am not reading a book or more a week.

While at work, I munched on a Subway foot long veggie sandwich.  I had the hankering and the hunger.  It’s time to chow down and add a few pounds until the chemo kicks in!

Tomorrow, we’ll pack up and head to Boston.  We’re planning to stay overnight at the hotel in the Longwood Medical Campus for two nights.  I start with chemo prep at 8:30 am Thursday, finish with post-chemo fluid infusion at 8:00 am Friday.

Alan just stopped by with some soup from Uno’s and a batch of meeting cookies from Lynne and Charlotte.  I have a real supper treat tonight!  Thanks!

And thanks all for your good wishes and support.  I feel loved and love you!

Love…

Richard

4 comments:

  1. good luck in Boston Richard... will be thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Back in Iowa, I had two friends, Bo and Shari, who did a good deal of remodeling work on our very old house. Parts of the house had been neglected for a long time. The first part of every remodel was tearing down and hauling out the old, cruddy, icky stuff. Shari and Bo let me help with that, since it takes hardly any skill (which is exactly the amount of skill I have when it comes to remodeling). My favorite part was going to the dump. It felt so great to me to push nasty, moldy, gross stuff off the back of a pickup truck. It felt absolutely triumphant to me, the getting rid of what’s not right and can never be right again. I especially liked pushing an old toilet off the back of the truck. Porcelain breaks with such a satisfying crash.

    So, tomorrow, Thursday, you go in for another round of demolition, tearing out the icky stuff that isn’t right so that your amazing body, the smartest remodeler ever, can build itself back healthy, vibrant, perfect.

    It is a beautiful day here in Greensboro. I am thinking of you, Richard the Lionhearted, Peaceful Warrior, and the other remodelers who will meet in the infusion room tomorrow ready to swing the sledge hammer. It’s hard, but satisfying work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love the analogy BeJae! You and Bo and Shari are welcome with your sledgehammers anytime! The infusion room is bright, has good acoustics, a dreadnaught would fill the room.

    Thanks for thinking of me in Greensboro. The town must be a spiral of memories for you. Music and bricks & mortar bring pieces of our life back in focus.

    Thanks for these lovely, thoughtful comments. They make me smile and feed my hungry brain. Onward!

    Love...

    foxy

    ReplyDelete