Monday, March 22, 2010

March 22, 2010 – Tired boy…

Busy day today and I am officially a tired boy.  Today is the day that the 5FU pump ran its course (and I got to lose my 24 hour a day shoulder pack.)  Fatigue was expected as the primary side effects of the chemo started to kick in.  After the mild weekend, I expected to ease in.  So what was my day?

This morning, Ann & I headed over to Dr. S.’s office (my Worcester oncologist) in separate cars.  Ann had patients today and my appointment was going to be long.  Dr. S. wanted to examine me as I enter this third cycle.  We don’t want a repeat of the infection and hospitalization of last cycle.  My blood levels all tested as excellent.  My vital signs were fine.  Dr. S. took a gander at the lesion on my hip that likely caused the infection last cycle.  There was still liquid below the scar and the size of the lesion was a concern.  So, he decided to lance it again while my blood counts are normal, before the low white cell counts that invite infection.  We needed to wait for the appropriate room to open up.

The wait was fine; it was time for hydration.  During chemotherapy, hydration aids the process.  It also helps the patient (me) feel better.  As I lay back into the recliner and had my port hooked up to the IV line, I discovered that my earphones were not with me.  This was a particularly bad omission because I was out of books.  Instead of bemoaning my lack of entertainment, I made phone calls.  Then I tapped through my iPhone.  Good thing, it has Solitaire; I was able to play many games without a winner (but I kept trying!)  I laid back in the recliner and tried to nap.  The folks in the infusion room were in good moods; the laughter and conversation were too musical a background for sleep.

Luckily, Dr. S. came by and said he was ready for a little lancing.  My IV bag still had fluid, so we rolled the post and my pump down to the exam room.  Dr. S. decided to make a longer incision to insure that the lesion would be completely drained.  A little slice and all he found was dried blood, which was good.

Back to the infusion room where my IV fluid bag finally emptied.  We checked the 5FU pump and figured that I had at least an hour before it would be done.  I decided to run errands while the pump ran.  I drove to Auburn, picked up my library books (a Dennis Lehane and another Jess Walter), and went to Papa Gino’s for a quick lunch.  I ordered penne with pomodoro sauce, a dish I’ve had many times before pre-cancer treatment.  I was hungry and scoffed it down, but slowly realized that the sauce tasted well, odd, and not in a good way.  Was it spicier?  More garlic?  No, it was the chemo reprogramming my taste buds.  Back in the saddle again.

Drove back to Dr. S.’s office and settled into a chair in the infusion room.  I opened Lehane’s The Given Day and prepared to dive in when the 5FU pump alarm beeped – running on empty!  One of the infusion room staff came over and disconnected the 5FU pump and the IV line from my port.  It was a boost to lose the pump bag!  Side note:  Dr. S. and his staff are wonderful and caring.  I feel comfortable in his facility.

Got into the car and drove home.   Let the dogs out and in then collapsed on the couch.  Rudy Dog, ever observant, jumped up into nap position and to sleep we went.  I didn’t realize how drained I was.  Such a change in a day, but that’s the way of chemotherapy.

Woke up when Ann arrived home.  Had a little supper, doing a little writing.  Tomorrow, we head into Boston.  I’ll have the stomach injection that should keep my white blood cell up and then go for radiation prep.

Tomorrow, Adam arrives for a week’s visit.  He has work to do while he’s here which will coincide nicely with my naptimes.  I’m looking forward to having the time together.  Over the weekend, we’ll have the whole family home, sheer bliss.

Thanks everyone for your love and support.  You carry me through these days.

Love…

Richard

4 comments:

  1. Listened to The Given Day as an audio book a while back. Loved it! I think you will, too.

    Sounds like a bit of an uphill ride today ... But, remember: guiltless eating enjoyment on the downhill side. Pace yourself, my friend, take it easy, keep on going. My money's on you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, BeJae. Loved the stream you left yesterday. Will answer tomorrow. Time for bed, pumpless! You brighten my days!

    ReplyDelete
  3. On Ward! Keep the awesome attitude up... Do they not have Wfy in the chemo room ??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Infusion room has WiFi - read a little of the NY Times and Boston Globe. But I yearned for music! Music to be infused by! Thanks, Linda!

    ReplyDelete