Thursday, June 24, 2010

Is it bait and switch? Or just that I hear what I want to hear?

I get a cancer treatment ending date and think it'll all be easy from that date on.  As usual, life plays tricks on me.  Finish the treatments out on an island far away from home, knowing that I will feel better but not exactly when.  Still gotta get home and heal up.  This is life teaching me a lesson.  It's never as simple as it seems to be.  But what should I concentrate on?  Six-seven-months ago I was diagnosed with cancer.  Today, my prognosis is excellent.  I have a bad sore throat & throat & tongue, a stomach tube, and I'm still caught up in medication alley.  Really, do I have room for any complaints?  Look at the big picture, son!

I will get better; and probably faster than I can imagine today, or maybe slower.  But I need to buck up, be a little tougher.

I write in this blog less often.  That behavior mirrors my daily activity.

Much to think about.

The fan blew my cards off the long windowsill.  I carefully and gently stacked them in a shoebox.  I've been placing new cards on my sill and my sill is near full again.  That sill is you.  You never leave me unattended or alone.  Thanks for the comfort and love, unending.

It's in the 80F's today!  And muggy!

My short term goals remain the same: eat some semi solid food, walk 15-30 minutes a day, maintain my weight so I can get the feeding tube out.

Love...

Richard

1 comment:

  1. You are choosing all the right cards, my friend, determination, courage, strength, kindness and a sweet, good nature. These are not new cards for you, not new at all. But, you are choosing different versions of them, versions tempered for unshakeable certainty and endurance. You are so generous to keep us informed on how all of this is going for you. The blog is hard right now, I understand that it is. Life is difficult right now in a real and significant way. And yet you continue on with tenacity and with more good cheer than seems possible. It’s disappointing, of course, to get through the grueling protocol in such good shape only to feel ragged and done in once it’s over. What seemed like such a triumph turns into an even more rigorous challenge. Relief will come slowly over time, not suddenly so that it is easy to celebrate. But, there is so much to celebrate right now: the good prognosis, the love of friends and family, that fact that you are so utterly amazing, the reality that you are healing and, best of all, the proof that you have not lost yourself in this very demanding process. You don’t give in to the illness or its treatment and you don’t give up your resolve. You are so very inspiring.

    I am sending you all of my best wishes and I am feeling so very grateful that I know you. My money is always on you to finish best.

    ReplyDelete