Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Hurry up and take my time...

Last week, I saw the medical oncology team, today the radiation oncologist.   The message is about the same.  The med_oncon folks cut my pain patch level in half (50 to 25) and placed the primary goal on eating semi-solid food (scrambled eggs, pudding, yogurt, etc.)  The rad_oncon gilded the the pain patch up 12 to 37 because I've been hurting.  This seems to be a good compromise.  We'll drop back down to 25 in a week.  Healing is a slow complicated  process.  I'm being sold patience and it's the only show in town.  But one that makes sense.

My treatment started with curling as the background, then the general Olympics, and now the World Cup.  The NBA Finals were in there somewhere, too.  Sports makes an odd metronome!

My old plan is out.  I'm not back at work in late-June to mid-July.  The new plan is pretty similar - one day at a time - and follow the oncon rules.  When I reach a milestone, act surprised!  There's no book on cancer treatment recovery with set and dry times.

BeJae - our shivering bones cry out for this unrelenting heat - has always been a favorite verse.  I hear your guitar echoing the truth.

I'll write when the seas are calm and I'm awake.  My spirits are good.

Thanks everyone for your support and comfort.  You draw the roof and floor on my days.

Love...

Richard

6 comments:

  1. Yes Richard... every body is different when it comes to healing... you have done so great! Stand Proud ~ I didn't see you crying through this process! How is your wifes hand?

    laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ann's arm is sore but healing well. She's doing her PT and it's paying off. Yesterday, they cleared her for driving. The surgery to put in a plate went gently and successfully. Thanks for asking!

    R

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to here that... Saw my oncologist today... I will be 4 yrs cancer free in Nov. I still thinks he is baffled LOL..anyways.. good report and good check up ! Hope you have a great weekend and it is not to hot up there... I hear there is a heat wave going on..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Four years - congratulations, Laura! May you grow from strength to strength. It is HOT in MA, cooler in FLA. Today was better and I got a nice walk in this morning (75 degrees!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Richard,

    We continue to be inspired and impressed by your optomism and courage. Our best to you and Ann as you both regain your strength.

    Bryce

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Bryce. Hope to see you in September.

    ReplyDelete