Thursday, July 29, 2010

Fountain of Youth

Yesterday was a productive day at Dana-Farber, a day of reassurances.  I hear that the traffic into Boston wasn't too bad (the car rocks me right to sleep).  First stop was a dual appointment with Nutrition and Swallow Therapy.  I have been concerned that my inability to swallow more than one to three "bites" of semi-solid food at a time was marking me behind in my recovery from the radiation treatments.  Not so, I was informed.  My primary tumor was located on the base of my tongue - an area of muscle that pushes food down the throat.  It needs more time and work before it will have recovered enough.  We went and made up a list of foods to try - eating builds strength.  We reviewed the exercises and set up goals for the next two weeks.  Oh, and my weight has been stable (+/- 2 kilograms) since the tube went in!

Next, I had blood drawn and my ports flushed, then headed down to acupuncture for a session.  The only issue with having acupuncture in the middle of the day is that it makes me very relaxed and full of desire to operate on low speed.  

Side note: my hair (top of the head) growing in from chemo is soft and baby like, though brunette and gray.

Our last appointment of the day was with Dr. H. & Dr. H., medical oncology.  We reviewed my general state of being, pain and medications, and eating.  Once again, I asked about where I should be eating-wise and got the same answer.  Patience and work, boy.  Dr. H. felt that having my stomach tube removed in October was a good goal.  But the tube only comes out if the food coming in though chewing and swallowing (i.e. without out the tube) for a couple of weeks is able to do so without weight loss.  My CT and PET scans are now scheduled for August 30th.  On September 1st, we'll meet with the two Dr. H.'s and Dr. N. (surgeon) to review the scans.  The senior Dr. H. does not believe I will need surgery on my lymph nodes but they want to be certain all remnants of the cancer are gone.  If there is any doubt, they will remove a node or two. (I'm hoping for no surgery, but we'll follow the science.)

Thanks everyone for being here with me.  Your support is carrying me through the tough days and making me laugh during the easy ones.

Love...

Richard

2 comments:

  1. Eating builds strength: I'm going to chant that to myself every time I over do it.

    I'm very glad you're making good progress. I know it must seem very slow to you, but it sounds like you're right where you should be under the circumstances.

    Thought of you yesterday while visiting the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. DJs have made a huge difference in the landscape of music and in the lives of musicians in this country. You sure made a huge difference in my life with your DJing. Spin one for me, won't you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eating builds strength: funny how perspective changes. Now, I should be excited about vanilla soy pudding in "large" portions (1/3 a serving).

    Rock and Roll HOF in Cleveland - appropriate. DJ's play their ears, but it's real pickers that drive the music forward. I'll always spin for you!

    ReplyDelete