Friday, September 3, 2010

Eating is the thing

We are lighter knowing the cancer is gone.  It's been a long road since I started treatment on February 2nd (my birthday.)  My big challenge now is eating.  Since September 1st, I haven't used my stomach tube to feed.  On September 22nd, I see the Nutritionist and Swallow Therapist and if my weight is stable, the stomach tube will be removed.  On September 13th, my Power Port (a device that sits below my chest skin and hooks into a large vein - chemo, other medications, and blood draws are accessed via the port) will be removed.  It's day surgery.  My understanding is the stomach tube is just yanked out in an exam room!

Eating is a challenge because food doesn't have much flavor and I need to eat about 720 calories per meal.  My body is still healing and needs the extra calories.  My taste buds are still coming back and I still have areas in my mouth that are raw (sensitive to acidic food/drink).  I have to be patient and keep eating.

I went to the dentist yesterday and had my teeth cleaned.  Head and neck radiation is hard on the teeth (well, hard on every part of the mouth, tongue, and throat) and I was concerned that the cleaning would be tough and that I would have other dental issues.  The cleaning felt like any other cleaning, probably easier because my mouth has gone through a lot.  Dr. Jeff came in and checked out my mouth.  It's in good shape, just an old filling that needs replacement (we knew about that before cancer treatment.)  Radiation weakens the teeth and I need to brush twice a day with a prescription fluoride toothpaste, let my teeth "marinate" for half hour after each brushing.

Thanks everyone for your comfort and support, for your greetings and celebration of cancer free me.  You all carried me through the chemo and radiation and recovery and I was heavy.

Love...

Richard

2 comments:

  1. You were not heavy. You were and are light; our light and our inspiration. This journey is an honor for us tag-alongs.

    Onward!

    ReplyDelete